Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
I've known people that shot them through full chokes, apparently without any ill effects, so it certainly can be done.  I'd be very cautious if you are talking about screw-in choke tubes, as these can swell up and get stuck.  If it is a plain barrel without tubes, would probably be worth trying.

The few slugs that I have fired seemed to kill on both ends.  Given the recoil... it seems unlikely that the average person would ever fire enough of them through a gun to hurt it.

What are you planning on shooting them through?

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
     Mike I will be using a 1300 Winchester with tubes. I like the mod choke for buckshot. I carry this in my patrol car.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
If you have the option of tubes, I'd definitely look for a rifled tube for slugs.  Sometimes these can dramatically improve accuracy.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Gentlemen,
   Conventional Foster type slugs are nothing more than big lead thimbles.  There is no part of the bearing surface that has any solid lead under it.  In passing through any choke it will swage down easily.  My only reservation would be using them in extra full turkey chokes.   The deep ribs on the Brenneke slugs are there to swage down in choked barrels as much as to impart some rotation.    If a choke tube can take steel shot it certainly can handle a soft lead rifled slug.
    This past year I sighted-in my 1187 (with Wilson/Scattergun Tech ghost ring sights) with Brenneke K-O Slugs loaded by Kent Cartridge Co.   These are the cheapest of the Brenneke designed slugs and are now loaded by PMC.  With a rifled choke tube accuracy ran over 8 inches at 50 yards.  With the Improved Cylinder tube groups settled into the
three inch range.
     If you have a vent rib equiped gun that throws slugs to the sights you will find it just about as accurate as ghost ring sights.  If that barrel has a modified choke you will most likely also find that it patterns 000 Buckshot reasonably well, at least that has been my experience with Federal Premium Buckshot.  
     One trick I've learned in getting the lead build up out of smoothbore slug barrels is to wrap a 10 gauge brush with 0000 steel wool and chuck the cleaning rod into a drill.   Do this outside as lead dust can be hazardous.  As the bore becomes smoother the leading problem diminishes.   For an alternative Brownells markets bronze wool if the idea of steel wool bothers you.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I would second Ralph's comments regarding slug safety in a Modified-choked barrel. In pre-choke tube days the
vast majority of domestically produced shotgun barrels
only tapered the last couple of inches, just like modern tubes. So if it is a problem now, it would've been so in the past. In days gone by I shot a great number of Foster slugs through several different Full choked barrels without any troubles. I also agree that aperture (Ghost Ring) sights are nice, they aren't necessary for good results out to about 50 yards.

Jack1, I too like to use a Modified choke with buck loads.
With the premium choices from Federal and Remington I
have acheived 100% patterns in the A-zone of an IPSC target at 25 yards. That is something I would not want to be hit with!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts