Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot anywhere from 100-250 at a time when I go to the range, about once or twice a month. Would it be worth my time and effort to reload my plastics, or any plastics that I can pick up at the range. Myself, as well as most of the guys that shoot skeet, trash there shotgun plastics. Just curious if it would be worth the time and money?

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
That would depend on what your paying for shells now. Haven't bought any components since this explosion in reloading components, ammunition and firearms started some 20 plus months ago. Wads run about $.10, primer around $.05 and shot approximately $.10 for a total of $.25 per shell or $6.25 per box. You might be able to buy 12 gauge shells that cheap in quanity. Should be able to save some on 20 gauge. Know 28 gauge and 410 gauge you would save at least $6.25 per box as the last I bought were around $13 per box. The figures are based on a 1 1/8 oz #8 shot 12 gauge load used in skeet and trap. Hey - I forgot the powder! Well you'll have to figure that. Over the years I've used Red Dot, 2400, HiScore 700X as well as some now discontinued WW powders.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently, I'm getting the federal bulk packs (100 rounds per box) for about $20 a box. That's 12ga, 2 3/4 in. 1 1/8oz. load of #7 shot, running something like 1200 fps. After tax, it works out to just over $5 bucks a box...

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I agree with hailstone. Tough to load any cheaper for 12 gauge than what Estate and some other brands are going for, at least trap loads. Heavier hunting loads (upland, not waterfowl) go for a little bit more. If you value your time, tough to make it pencil out. That's not the only consideration for us loaders though; there is some therapeutic value!

Anything besides 12 gauge, you have a chance at some accounting advantage!

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you are a high volume shooter of 12 gauge target loads (i.e. trap leagues, ATA shoots, etc...) reloading can be/is a cost saver. However, if you're just a 200+/- rounds a month kind of guy then you really wont see savings for quite a while after getting set up w/ a press. Lead prices have also been eating into savings for a while now.

I dont know about where you are but here (WI) Winchester is running a promotion on AA's that requires you to send in the UPC codes off each box for a $2.50 rebate for each box ($25/case) for up to 5 cases (50 boxes). Its kind of a hassle and the rebates take about 8 weeks to get back to you, but AA's are about the nicest factory target loads you can get and after the rebate the 5 cases I bought cost me roughly $57 a case...plus you got the hulls to reload at a later date if you decide to.

Just something to think about...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Been loading shotshells for about 20 years and have not bought factory shells in several years. You can save money with the 12 gauge by loading less shot... With a little tinkering you can come up with 7/8 ounce loads that show no difference on targets whether live or clay than 1 1/8 oz loads. You also have the option of loading any type of specialty load you desire. Even if you are only shooting a case a month you can still pay for a Lee load all in one or two loading sessions so that is what i would buy since if you decide it isn't worth it you can sell the press after you have gotten your moneys worth out of it and still come out on top. Every now and then you will run across a hull that is impossible to size with the sizer ring on the load all but it is usually foreign cases with high brass and extra high base wads. A mec sizemaster will size any case but is a bigger investment and the lee comes with 24 shot/powder bushings. Oh by the way you can still save money whether loading light or heavy shot charges it's just that the savings are much greater with lighter charges.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I reload shotshells, and with new shot its about $4.12 per box, with reclaim shot its about $3 a box. Yea there is a savings, its not much but its there. I shoot better with my reloads than I do with factory stuff (win AAs) so its worth it to me.

If you are going to reload the shells you want to be buying the Remington value packs, the Gun Club hull is the ideal hull to reload now a days.

Winchester does have the $2 rebate, so does Remington. Its limited to 50 boxes or $100.

I buy my reloading components from a local distributor that gives our Trap club members store level pricing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Mattsbox, the gun club hull isn't the same hull as the sts hull unless they have changed them since i last bought them. The gun club is a weaker hull (rxp i think) and though it does reload just fine it doesn't last as long. My favorite hull is the sts followed by the AA and gun club but for heavy hunting loads i use the Gold medal.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
They aren't the same, but have the same construction and internal dimensions. They reload the same.

I prefer the STS and Nitro hulls to reload, but I load GCs and Win AAs too. In fact, with the low pressure load I'm using, I don't have to change a thing and can mix them on the press with no issues. My MEC 650 doesn't mind at all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the information guys, I'm going to give this a lot of thought. I've been penciling it out here and there I've come up with a cost per box (25 rnds) of about $3-$4 per box, so it really would be a benefit to me, plus there are a lot of guys that shoot trap and skeet at the range where I shoot, and they are always asking about someone to reload there hulls. I'm still in thought on it though, evern if it's just for me it would still save me about $15 a month on shells. I usually get the 100 round case of Fed game loads. I do like what the one poster said about being able to load whatever concoction I could come up with. Thanks again guys, God Bless.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget there is a satisfaction in loading your own. I enjoy reloading as a hobby in itself.
I used to reload rifle and pistol brass, as well as molded my own bullets for a 44 Mag that my step father had. I do understand the therapeutic part of it as well as the satisfaction of putting something together like that then having it work the way you want it to. As my grandfather used to say, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it, make it better." That's what I enjoyed about reloading, if you didn't like the way a particular commercial load performed but you liked the type of bullet or that specific weight, only wanted better performance you could start from scratch and make it the way you wanted it. I really enjoyed that part of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i enjoy reloading it keeps me at par with my hobby specially during off season times or during winter when its too cold to do anything outside. But as far as economics is concerned, a reload could not save you that much, if i am not mistaken,less than a dollar for a 25 round box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts