Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need convincing as to why I should or should not buy the new Ruger Single Six Model 17 HMR. I have a Marlin 17VS rifle I use for varmints and a Ruger 22LR Single Six. But, honestly I'm not real impressed with the accuracy of the 22 LR revolver, nor its stopping power. Does anyone have this new handgun? How accurate is it? And, at what distance is it accurate for a clean kill on a groundhog?

·
Banned
4 Posts
If you have the Super Single Six then install the .22mag cylinder. That simple change will out perform the .17 any day of the week.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
the reported velocity from a long barreled (8") revolver is actaully a bit higher than I thought it would be: 1900fps. Suspect once you get to the 6" area, may see numbers more like 1700-1750...depending on how wide the flash gap. that seems pretty fast, but that bullet is not all that heavy.

Understand the urge for a rifle/handgun combo in teh same caliber...but in this case, considering the price of ammo, I just may have to pass.

Actually, I try to balance the hangun and the rifle at hand (if you are prone to having both with you). When out with a light RF or small CF rifle, tend to carry a big bore handgun...have a rifle for small stuff, and a handgun if something large takes too great an interrest in me). If out with a big bore rifle, tend to carry a small RF handgun (have the big rifle for the big things, and a small handgun for the little pests).

Just makes more sense to me to have a wide ballistic choice rather than have tow guns that put the same size hole in things.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You've brought up a good point ribbonstone. Majic, I have tried the magnum cylinder, but I'm having a hard time trying to find magnum ammo that will burn clean away.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Guess it was differnt back when a man carried ammo that had to last for months...having a 44/40 rifle and handgun makes a kind of sense then...may even make a kind of sense for sub-machineguns and side arms in the military....but for a hunter, can't see the sense in having two guns with about the same ballistic potential. Much rather have a .22Rife and a .44mag. revolver or a .308wcf and a .22LR handgun (pick your variation in calibers, but the idea is to get two widely sperate performance levels).
--------
To the original quetion;
Do think the reduction in the .17's perfomacne as barrels become hangun length is raher drastic. Given a 6" revolver and 1750(ish)perfomance, it should be a decent small game gun...wouldn't expect the bullet to perfom to nearly the same level as when fired from a rifle.

haven't reasearched the fouling of the .17 in revolvers...would guess that if there is unburned powder, it would be significant in chambering a bottle necked round.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Hi A.J.,

I suggest that you invest in a B-Square , or better yet, a Burris scope mount for your Super Single Six, and a good 2 power, Burris scope ( at the least) and you'll have about the same money invested and get a LOT more for your money, in my humble opinion. My Single Six will shoot 7/16ths inch, 5-shot groups at 25 yards using cheap ammo---like Winchester Wildcat and Remington Hi Vel. I don't think I'd ever shoot an adult groundhog with EITHER the .17 or the .22 LR unless the range was less than 25 yards. I also have a .17 rifle and consider that one big mistake, except it is a conversation piece in my gun rack. I use any one of ten, quality .22 rifles for small game and varmints. Some of these old guns are VERY hard to beat, but it doesn't stop hard-up companies from trying to separate shooters from their hardearned money, does it ?

Just the thoughts of an old man.

:) Chuck

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
From what I have been told by my dealer to took a 17 HMR on a p-dog shoot, it will not make clean kills on the little p-dog past 75 yards, so on a groundhog I would not use it at all, regardless of range. I've killed too many hogs with the .22-250 and they can be quite tenacious, and IMO the .17 HMR does not have what it takes for g-hogs. I don't care if it is a varmint, I want a clean kill. I cannot stand to make an animal suffer, no matter what animal it is.
I like Ruger 77-17 tgt a lot, it is incredibly accurate, but I will limit its use on squirrels and rabbits. Regarding the pistol, the only thing that really matters is do you want it? I plan to get one just for the heck of it once they make it in stainless to match my rifle (I'm sure they won't make it-the pistol-in target gray, but ss will be close enough). I doubt it will ever be used against anything more alive than paper, but it will be fun to have. My Super Single Six is over 30 years old, so it has had a lot of rounds through the barrel. It was never a tack driver with either cyclinder, however, I consider it plenty accurate enough considering its intended purpose. If I want to shoot super small groups with a .22, I reach for the Mk I or Mk II target pistols. They shoot rings around the SSS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts