Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would fix it because I like things looking and being their best. I'm not familiar with that gun but I would take it apart
If need be to do the best job. The first thing I would do is spend 90 minutes on the internet learning a few tips and tricks for this kind of thing. It will pay dividends.... I would use WOOD glue, ( Tite-Bond ?) not Elmer's glue. You can get it Lowes. It comes in various colors. It is surprising strong stuff. I would probably thin it a little bit. You can do that with what ever they suggest for clean up. It's likely water soluble. Also at Lowes, I would pick up some latex tubing. In the plumbing area. It is common practice to use flat straps or Latex tubing as a clamp for irregular shapes.

I would use one of these wooden clamps shown in the image, also at Lowes to gently clamp the top and bottom of the stock. It's not so much as a clamp as it is a limiter.

That's because I'm about to split the crack open wider and I don't want the crack to grow and get longer.

I will use a small flat tip screw driver to gently wedge the crack open so I can get the slightly diluted wood glue deep into the crack. After cleaning the crack surfaces with Denatured Alcohol. You could use Lacquer thinner but test
an area of the finish first. It may have Lacquer finish on the stock and the thinner would remove it. I used both on guns all of the time.

I would clean the area with some denatured Alcohol and let that dry... It's pretty quick.

If you wanted to pin the upper and lower pieces, you could drill from the top about 1.1/4" deep and use a wooden pin.
A tooth pick or wood dowel. I think 3/16" is the smallest they sell at Lowes. That feels big ....... It should mostly be hidden under that section of steel in any case. OH... Walmart has an arts and crafts area.... look there.

After you align the split pieces, you can glue away. You may use a small paint brush or syringe to get the glue
deep into the crack. The pharmacy will sell them to you for about .35 cents each. Or you can get bigger one near the pharmacy or in the cooking section of Walmart.

Do you see in the image how the wooden clamp on the right side keeps the box ( crack ) closed and the screwdriver
opens the box lid ( crack ) up so you can easily apply the glue.

I would certainly pin the upper and lower pieces. Primarily for alignment, not strength. You could temporarily pin it with a drill bit or something. Then after the glue dries, remove it and fill the hole with colored wood filler... Lowes.

I have done a variation of this. The crack was in the bottom of the barrel channel. The wood clamp saved the day.
It allows you to get as aggressive as you need to without the worry of causing greater damage.

So this is a concept for you to follow and adapt based on the tools you have and know how to use. You could use a small vice instead of a clamp. Maybe a board on the top and bottom with Vice grips squeezing the protective boards.

You may need something to keep the upper cracked section from being pulled out of position by what ever clamp thing you employ. I may try and use a socket to keep it from collapsing inward. Maybe you have a saw and can simply cut a spacer to suit.

It looks fairly simple and I would be much happier after it was fixed if it were mine. It's like a dented car to me....
your car still runs fine but your passenger door is crushed in and it looks like crap.

That's just me.... best of luck !!
Hood Wood Automotive design Automotive lighting Computer keyboard

Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Wood stain

I

·
Registered
9 Posts
Me-can-ick has a good point I forgot. One tip from the internet would be... Wipe the excess glue off of the wood surfaces
long before it dries. If you use a wood clamp to compress the joint, use a light pressure. Squeezing a butt or boob.
Some of the glue will be expelled and it should be wiped off with a slightly damp cloth, rag or paper towel. If you pull a little glue out of the crack somehow, it will be OK....

Dry fit the joint prior the glue up to see what it will take to get the best alignment. Your wood glue will have generous
open time. That's a big plus over crazy glue in this application. Crazy is great for balsa model airplanes.

Again... best of luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts