Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would leave it alone. That's bayonet practice damage caused by flexing the fore-end. It doesn't affect accuracy or strength, only looks. It can look like a crack or look like glue in a crack, but its never going to look whole unless you take the rifle apart so you can clamp the entire fore-end at right angles to the crack. Get the clamping arranged for a quick application, squirt in thin super glue like found in a hobby shop and clamp it an leave it an hour or two. The crack is clean enough to look really good.
You think me shooting it wouldn’t cause the crack to become worse? That’s the thing that worries me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That particular crack is in a place not affected by recoil....If I'm seeing the rear sight in the picture. It takes no stress unless you're practicing butt strokes.
That is the rear sight. I do not practice butt strokes. Seems to me that it’ll be fine and shouldn’t have to necessarily be repaired

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just my 2 cents....

Titebond III glue using an injector to fill the crack with as much glue as you can. Warm, wet sponge to wipe away excess. Leave alone for 24 hours to be certain. This will stop the crack from spreading further under recoil.
I think the crack may have previously been repaired by using a epoxy. Whenever I try to lift up the piece of wood above the split, the wood barely budges. Do you think it’ll be fine?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Me-can-ick has a good point I forgot. One tip from the internet would be... Wipe the excess glue off of the wood surfaces
long before it dries. If you use a wood clamp to compress the joint, use a light pressure. Squeezing a butt or boob.
Some of the glue will be expelled and it should be wiped off with a slightly damp cloth, rag or paper towel. If you pull a little glue out of the crack somehow, it will be OK....

Dry fit the joint prior the glue up to see what it will take to get the best alignment. Your wood glue will have generous
open time. That's a big plus over crazy glue in this application. Crazy is great for balsa model airplanes.

Again... best of luck
Thank you man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts