Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used several set ups for reloading from a plank with my shot shell reloader bolted to it that I C clamped to a work bench in the shop. I used a old Oak school teachers desk for about 15 years once I strated reloading for rifles and hand guns. My curent set up is going on 25 years old.
I am going to build a new bigger one with more storage, more bench so I can set up both shot shell reloaders and both metlic reloaders. I want to have a shelf where I can fit the tumbler so it isn't on the floor.

My bench right now also doubles as a fly tieing station, a place to paint and assemble lures I build and a placewhere I wire frames and install foundation.

So I would like to see pictures of your set up and maybe get some good ideas. I'll show you mine in a bit.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I clean mine up a bit before I use it.

"A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind."

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Some nice set ups. Thanks for shareing the pictures. I'll try to get pictures of what I have today and get them posted.

Draw back I found with the big old Oak teachers desk was you had to remove a draw to mount the press then once the press was in place you couldn't put the drawer back Or I couldn't any way. Also one side had that type writer tray so it was about usless for storage. Also the desk it's self with out some form of cabnits or shelves tended to collect clutter the area was so big and inviting.

:D Al

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could not get the draws out enough to slip the bolts in place and mount the press then shut the drawers. I guess today with the epoxy glues a fellow could remove the drawer add the bolts and glue them in place mount the press and go to work. But that drawer would be useles sthen because the press would be in the way.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I have the luxury of a "room" in the basement. It used to be my train room when I was into HO scale trains, and it still doubles as a hobby space for when I feel like dubbing around with repairing and scratchbuilding farm toys.

The shelves are doublesided, reloading stuff on "my" side, and SWMBO's pantry on the other side. I have enough shelf space so that there's a separate spot for all the components and dies for each caliber I reload.

The bench is just 16" wide. There is a 2x4 ledger anchor-bolted to the wall, a double thickness of 3/4" A/C plywood for the top, and 4x4 legs. Plenty rugged, big enough to work comfortably, not so big that it winds up being a catchall for stuff I'm too lazy to put away properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photos that everything is in close proximity but here's mine.

Main Bench - I like the island that I can access from all sides.

I added a drill press to a second bench last fall, wish I'd gotten one years ago.

I do some brass prep on the bench and store powder in the lockers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is what I use and it works great. Very portable can go with me to the range even. It is surprisingly sturdy and another machine can be mounted on the opposite side if need be.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
It does look pretty slick. I'm toying with the idea of building a portable setup to take to the range. I actually drilled mounting holes in the shooting benches at the range to secure a press to but the shooting bench flexes quite a bit and has uneven tops.

Where did you get the stand? What is the top made of?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow! With the smiley face on the subject line of the original post, I thought this was supposed to be funny pictures. Some of these "Benches" look better and more organizd than many factories I've been in.

I guess I spent all that time messing up my bench for nothing!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok to start the old oak school teachers desk is history. It just didn't fit my needs any longer as it was but the money I recieved for it did.

This is what i have now and for the last 25 years. It has served it porpose very well but i want some thing bigger with more storage that I can lock up when the grand children come to visit. They are quick little devils at getting into things if you blink.

It is 4' wide and 4' deep includeing the shelves.
I can go just a shade short of 8 feet with out moving any thing out of the room. I can go about 9 feet tall.
There are storage shelves to the left. To the right is access to the water heater and furnace, just past the toshiba box.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts