Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to change my avatar. The new one has dimensions of 50x100 pixels (portrait orientation) and a size of 8K but the "User control panel" keeps resizing it smaller to the literal size of a thumbnail.

What's going on?

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I'm not sure of the entire workings here, but do know that in some cases, avatar sizes were getting a bit 'out of control' (way too big, in other words) so I think some automatic sizing controls were put in place. That's probably what you are running into.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Help, Shawn

I guess I'll need to rethink my avatar... It's so small now that you can't see my son's baby blues.

·
Super Moderator
13,432 Posts
I shrank some of the biggest ones, but they're still bigger than 100x150. I'm not aware of anything Mike did to limit them directly. I'll have to ask? It seems to me I recall there being some setup size limiter but that it didn't work or some such thing. Again, I'll have to ask?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help Nick,

It's no biggie... Probably time to think up a new Avatar anyway.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
OK, I updated the settings so that all of the regular users and Beartooth regulars can have a 100x100 avatar. But there is a limit of 50K on the size. So, if it's being shrunk, you may have to make it a smaller DPI (dots per inch or density, basically).

I suspect that if the original avatar picture lets you see the kid's eyes at 100x100, then it is probably 200 or 300dpi, or it's really larger than 100x100. Either way the forum may be resizing.

You can try attaching it as a picture and see if that makes any difference, as pictures aren't resized. They just have to be under 200K.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I must be remembering seeing his blue eyes from the original, full sized picture. If I resize it down to any reasonable size I can't see his eyes either.

I'll go through some pictures on my home computer for more Avatar making ideas.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I made a new one... can't quite tell if its barley or wheat though... ;)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,682 Posts
Brew some and find out!!!! ;)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Shawn wins! If you enjoy a Coors you could very easily have some of our Barley in it.

Wheat pretty much looks the same though, only way I know the difference is that the Winter wheat (that is what is greening up in the fields now) is ready in July, while Barley takes its sweet time until the middle of August.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
My friends and I are doing our best to help the farms out!:D

Better get your farmers eyes in shape Matt. You should be able to drive down the highway and distinguish a field of barley from a field of wheat.:p

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I was being a bit facetious there, Shawn, I grew up in the stuff and have run many combines long into the night on our 15k acres of the gold. :)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Lots of guys are switching to Winter Wheat in this area, Hill county is up more than 10k acres in production of WW over other crops from last year, and that is a decade long trend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts