Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new double barrel side by side 12 gauge shotgun. I haven't owned one in a long time and would like to have another one. I am looking for something decent under $1000. Looking for some input from members on what works for them. The gun will be used for upland and waterfowl hunting. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like side by sides. If you have the money for a new one consider a used drilling instead if its legal in your area. While I would not take a drilling for waterfowl it is my best 'shotgun' and most useful.

I go around to gunshops almost every day it seems and I look at the used side by side shotguns. To me they are the best value.

I have got a nice Bernadelli and an Ugartechea and they are sweet. The barrels are only 24.5" long on the 20 ga Ugartechea. What a neat, handy, light gun for upland and just woods roaming. I paid $400 for it and its like new.

There was a really fine pre war JP Sauer 20ga at the Autumn Gun Works in CT for about $1300. It did not stay there long. He gets in such nice guns. You don't see quality like that very often.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I'd vote over/under for waterfowl. Beyond that, and to your question. I'd try a Ruger if I was in the market for a new SXS. I don't know the money for one though!

The used rack is a good place to look. Estate sales and such.

You will find one!

Cheezywan

·
Registered
574 Posts
Stoeger makes one that looks nice and is reasonably priced. I don't have one and don't know anyone who does (I may change that soon though), so I can't vouch for the quality.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A good one for the "stated" money amount would be a CZ, imported by Legacy of Kansas City. Their SXS's are really a Huglo brand imported from Turkey, but they are very good quality for the price (I've owned two and have a 28ga on hand).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd vote over/under for waterfowl. Beyond that, and to your question. I'd try a Ruger if I was in the market for a new SXS. I don't know the money for one though!

The used rack is a good place to look. Estate sales and such.

You will find one!

Cheezywan
I bought a Ruger Gold Label SXS 4 years ago. A friend of mine had me find him one and after I shot it I had to have one. I have always been a fan of the O/U 20 Ga. until I shot the Gold Label. I found his on the internet within about one week, but when I started looking for mine it took me three months to find one. I paid 2000.00 for mine and now that Ruger has dropped the Gold Label they are selling used ones now for 3000.00 and up. I wish I had bought two of them now.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sxs

The used rack is where I found most of my SXSs. a couple of Ithaca Flues, a Lefever, a Parker VH (that is my Upland gun). I bought both the Parker and the LeFever for less than $800.
The first SXS that I ever owned was/is one of the early imports from Russia, the Baikal IZH-43. It is a good shooter - a simple, basic, reliable shooter. I've had it for close to 15 years.
I also own a fun little Stoeger .410 SXS.
Pete

·
Registered
445 Posts
I use a Stoeger Coach gun for Cowboy Action Shooting. It's not a bad gun, other than it shoots way to the left - I'm talking a couple feet off at a distance of only 10 yards! It was a graduation present from my parents so I don't want to get rid of it. I've learned to compensate for CAS, so it's okay, but I couldn't recommend it for hunting. On the other hand, I may just have a lemon. A lot of people use them for CAS and I haven't heard anyone else complain.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Pete,

I also have a Baikal IZH-43 28" SxS 12ga hammer gun that I picked up in Germany in 88'. I take it out when ever I get a chance. Its to be replaced by my 870 for turkey hunting as I finally got a turkey barrel for it (only had a 18" cycl bore). Believe Remington imported them a few years ago under the Spartan line but has since discontinued them.

CD

·
Registered
255 Posts
The CZ is nice for the money, I have one in a 20 gauge and like it for grouse hunting. They have single and double trigger models. Remington also has an imported model SPR(double trigger). I have one in a coyboy version but they also have models with longer barrels. Both these guns would be well under $1000, with the CZ being higher than the Rem. SPR.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme I use for cowboy action shooting and have no problem hitting clays or birds. Mine is pretty accurate and very easy to work on if you need to. If you're looking for something cheap and reliable that'd be my suggestion.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'd highly recommend the CZ, even though I don't like their other guns. The Rems are cheap, but fit and finish is lacking, some have complained about reliability also.

The CZ Bobwhite in 28 gauge may just be Shotgun perfection.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/bobwhite-202-b-case-hardened/

I do not own that CZ, I own a Ruger Red Label in 28 gauge (12 and 20 also). I like the Rugers a lot. The Gold Label is a nice gun, but average selling price is about 2300, a fair bit above your range.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a 20 gauge CZ Bobwhite and I highly recommend it for an inexpensive side x side. They are one of the best values available IMO.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ended up at Basspro yesterday looking at their gun rack. I ended up buying a Stoeger Upland 26 inch double barrel in 20 ga. I had been wanting a 20 and a side by side so I scratched both itches at the same time. Nice little gun. Fit and finish is reasonable and the gun fits me well. Their fall sale doesn't start till Friday but the manager let me have the gun at sale price. Should be just right for the grandson in a few years.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Always late with posts at times.:eek:

I was going to suggest a Spanish made gun, the Ugartechea. I have the grade1/model 30, that is a pleasure to shoot. It is 28" tubes, splinter forend, and an English stock. they can be had for around $800, and shoot like a dream.

The previous owner of mine sent it out to Briley, where they installed the thin wall chokes. the gun came with like 6 briley chokes, to meet just about any application that a 12 ga. SxS could be used for.

good luck with your Stoeger.

Years ago, I owned a Stoeger O/U Condor two that was a fantastic gun.

good luck with yours!

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured since Benelli owns Stoeger it should be a pretty good gun. I watched Guns and Ammo TV try to tear up a 12 guage Stoeger double barrel by dropping a 20 gauge round down the barrel and firing a load of Hornady 00 buck shot behind it. It didn't even bulge the barrel on the Stoeger. I have already done some polishing on the action and made it a lot smother.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a 410 side by side but I do have two 410 single barrels. I guess I could carry them at the same time.....
I too would like a 410 sxs. I am looking at buying some of the 410 brass shells and handloading them.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,654 Posts
Zip-tie them together! Or duct tape... :p

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
brass .410s

I am looking at buying some of the 410 brass shells and handloading them.
Jodum: They are fun. There are, however, a few pitfalls to find your way around.
Components are the big issue as NONE of the standard plastic wads will fit the brass hulls properly. Drawn brass hulls are larger inside than plastic hulls so standard wads are too loose.
You can try to build a traditional wad column with nitro cards, fiber wads and overshot cards but most of those are, also, too small. I found that I had to cut my own in order to make dependable .410 loads.
left to right: a 3'' shell, a 2.5", a Magtech brass hull, two hulls formed from .303 British brass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts