Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would using Sierra MatchKing in 30-06 be a decent choice for Caribou?

Or should I use soft points or Game-Kings?

Or my .222 Rem with Game-Kings?

Most of the hunters I talk with here in Greenland say that a 30-06 is way to much rifle for a Caribou. But I feel that the .222 is to tiny.
Most popular calibers for Caribou here in Greenland is .222 Rem and .223 Rem.

With my shooting skills, shooting will be at distances shorter than 200 yards. Most common shooting distance according to my Inuit friends is 100-150 meters.

This year We have the longest season for Caribou in decades. Hunting season ends in the middle of November, and there is no quota.

Happy hunting from Greenland.
Jesper Rex

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Rex,

Match bullets can't be counted on for proper expansion/penetration. They just aren't made for it. Might work perfectly, might blow up on impact, might zip through without much damage at all. One lot might work great and the next lot might be terrible.

I think I'd just stick with the standard, over-the-counter .30-06 soft points. No sense in messing with what you know will work, or take a chance at losing a wounded animal.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,954 Posts
Ditto what Mike says - match bullets are for punching holes in paper or hitting metal gongs. Get a good spitzer soft point for hunting.

If I hunted caribou, the big 7's or the 30-06 would be my choice.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Rex,

I'll echo what's already been said here. Go buy some good soft-points for your .30-06 and leave the Match-Kings at home.

Interesting about the choice of caliber up there for Caribou being .222 Rem and .223 Rem. I've heard such before, but thought it was just some kind of rumor. What are they using for ammo? Do you know?

Let us know what you do.

God Bless,

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marshall: Most native hunters here in Greenland uses FMJ in .222 or .223 for Caribou. According to a friend that owns a shop with hunting equipment, about 70% of the ammo he sells is FMJ.

Most sold brands are Sellier & Bellot and PMC (Being the cheapest)

Larger calibers like 308 and 30-06 is mostly used by non-native hunters, or by native hunters for Musk Ox or Polar Bear. The Inuit Hunters still prefer the FMJ bullet, as they don't want to loose any meat.

.22LR, 22WMR and .22 Hornet is used for Seals, with the .22LR(Stingers) as the most popular, closely followed by the .22WMR

Happy hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
I saw a documentary once where an Inuit hunter stalked and shot a polar bear with a .222. He basically stalked really close and shot the bear in the back of the neck - it dropped right away!
Way big kahunas, if you ask me!

BTW, a friend of mine was stationed on one of the islands off the Alaskan coast (Coast Guard radar station), and a bear started attacking a dog that was tied up outside. The guys shot the bear a few times with M16's, which seemed to aggravate him quite a lot - who knows where they hit him? Luckily, one of the fellas had a 30-30; he went in and got it and shot the bear, finally killing it. Dog survived, if I recall.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Thanks for the info... hmmm, kind of makes you scratch your head, then perhaps re-evaluate what we consider "minimums" for our hunting here.

God Bless,

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,954 Posts
Nah - don't think so, Marshall.

Well knowing my personal limitations, I'll leave my .223 Rem ammo for paper punching with the Ruger M77 MkII V/T and the infrequent varmit. Those eskimos and Greenland hunters are far more skilled than I when it comes to bullet placement, evidently.

I once faced a black bear sow down with a .243 AI, but it was more bluff on my part than serious intent!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Well you have to consider that there's not much place to hide on the tundra! A wounded animal doesn't have much of a chance to get away.

Not to take anything away from those hunters, they're either good or they starve. Still, a world of difference between shooting a caribou out in the open, or looking for a hog in a bunch of thick, thorny brush.

And ID, you're right about anyone who shoots a bear with a .222 having some real courage!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
As for the Match Kings, Sierra doesn't recommend them as a game bullet. In fact, they recommend that you don't use them on game. The MK may expand explosively and lack enough penetration to effectively anchor game or the nose may "pinch" and not expand at all. Bullets made to work properly on game will perform better and more consistantly than a target bullet on game. Game Kings will work fine on Caribou, Deer or Moose, provided you match the bullet weight and caliber for such. The tiny bit of better accuracy the MK's may provide over something like the GK or Nosler or Barnes or CoreLokt or Power Point, etc... is not worth the pain and suffering of a bullet failure on wildgame. Tailor your loads to get the accuracy you need with any of the above hunting bullets and go with confidence.

Yes, many native hunters do use FMJ .223's for caribou, musk ox and even polar bear, but it isn't the wisest choice if you have other alternatives.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice.

I will go for the SPBT Game-Kings instead of the MatchKings that I already have.

When it comes to Polar Bear hunting, I have met an Inuit hunter, that had a surprising encounter with a younger polar bear.(300-350 kg male)

He was surprised at short range, and didn't have time to use his rifle. He stuffed one arm into the jaws of the beast, and used the other to stab it to death, after that he packed it on his sled, drove 1½ day for home to get medical attention.
I saw his scars, they were rather frightening.

Happy hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rex, what are the majority of the rifle types used in .222 and .223 for hunting caribou in Greenland? Are bolt-actions or Ruger mini-14's more common?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Matt47.

The majority of rifles used up here are bolt actions.(95-98%)

Only professional Hunters are allowed to buy Semi-Autos, and that has been the rule since 1992.

The Inuit(Eskimo) hunters have lots of older Sako Vixens. They don't like the Semi Autos, as they require to much maintenance.

I have seen several old Sako's that where kept together with Gaffa Tape, hose clamps and other stuff like that. I have also seen Sako's laying in the bottom water of the Inuit hunters dinghys :(

The Inuit hunters, uses a rifle, until presision is bad, then they uses a metal saw to shorten it a couple of inches, then it can last for a few years more.

I just found the Caliber rules up here.

For Reindeer you need a .222 Rem or larger, no rules for bullet selection.

For Musk Ox you need a 6.5x55 or larger, you have to use FMJ bullets.

Happy Hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts