Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would using Sierra MatchKing in 30-06 be a decent choice for Caribou?

Or should I use soft points or Game-Kings?

Or my .222 Rem with Game-Kings?

Most of the hunters I talk with here in Greenland say that a 30-06 is way to much rifle for a Caribou. But I feel that the .222 is to tiny.
Most popular calibers for Caribou here in Greenland is .222 Rem and .223 Rem.

With my shooting skills, shooting will be at distances shorter than 200 yards. Most common shooting distance according to my Inuit friends is 100-150 meters.

This year We have the longest season for Caribou in decades. Hunting season ends in the middle of November, and there is no quota.

Happy hunting from Greenland.
Jesper Rex

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marshall: Most native hunters here in Greenland uses FMJ in .222 or .223 for Caribou. According to a friend that owns a shop with hunting equipment, about 70% of the ammo he sells is FMJ.

Most sold brands are Sellier & Bellot and PMC (Being the cheapest)

Larger calibers like 308 and 30-06 is mostly used by non-native hunters, or by native hunters for Musk Ox or Polar Bear. The Inuit Hunters still prefer the FMJ bullet, as they don't want to loose any meat.

.22LR, 22WMR and .22 Hornet is used for Seals, with the .22LR(Stingers) as the most popular, closely followed by the .22WMR

Happy hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

I will go for the SPBT Game-Kings instead of the MatchKings that I already have.

When it comes to Polar Bear hunting, I have met an Inuit hunter, that had a surprising encounter with a younger polar bear.(300-350 kg male)

He was surprised at short range, and didn't have time to use his rifle. He stuffed one arm into the jaws of the beast, and used the other to stab it to death, after that he packed it on his sled, drove 1½ day for home to get medical attention.
I saw his scars, they were rather frightening.

Happy hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Matt47.

The majority of rifles used up here are bolt actions.(95-98%)

Only professional Hunters are allowed to buy Semi-Autos, and that has been the rule since 1992.

The Inuit(Eskimo) hunters have lots of older Sako Vixens. They don't like the Semi Autos, as they require to much maintenance.

I have seen several old Sako's that where kept together with Gaffa Tape, hose clamps and other stuff like that. I have also seen Sako's laying in the bottom water of the Inuit hunters dinghys :(

The Inuit hunters, uses a rifle, until presision is bad, then they uses a metal saw to shorten it a couple of inches, then it can last for a few years more.

I just found the Caliber rules up here.

For Reindeer you need a .222 Rem or larger, no rules for bullet selection.

For Musk Ox you need a 6.5x55 or larger, you have to use FMJ bullets.

Happy Hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.