Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig P226 W. German are they that good?

9K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Darkker 
#1 ·
To start off the only Semi auto pistols I own is my S&W Shield 40 cal. That I carry daily, and my Ruger Mk III for woods walk competitions. All my other pistols are either Contender or Encores. My son has a Sig 226 W. GERMAN that he wants to sell me, if I got this I'd probably try some speed completions buy I'm not even sure I'd like it yet.

He has 4 magazines a target holster with belt and mag. clips as well as a leather carry holster, and he wants me to purchase him a Springfield Stainless Ranger Officer in trade so somewhere between $900 - $1000.
My question is this. Is the W. GERMAN Sig 226 that good of a target gun or would I be better off getting a Springfield XDM or Glock ## instead? I know the P226's are considered as one of the best when built but how have they stood the test of time? Has the technology over the last 20 - 25 years caught up?

Thanks for the advise

#2 ·
No complaints here

I bought my W. German 226 Sig app 1984- 1986 used for 500$, sent it back for the short trigger/re-set & accurizing package, & recently (2-3 years) started shooting cast thru it. YES it's good, "that good" is a personal opinion. My times on bowling pin & steel challenge are better with a revolver in D/A mode, that's me. If it's your sons pistol, won't he let you try it? I think he's asking too much $ (in general) & certainly for a Father. I've bought 4 more P series Sigs used/good cond since then all for 500$ each. Raise his rent to cover the high price. :D

#3 ·
It's dang hard to beat a SIG for quality and reliability. Everyone has their preferences and there are a lot of fine pistols out there, but few if any are finer than the SIG SAUER. I have a P226 (9mm DA/SA [decocker] German) from about a 1991 mfr. Since 1992, it has seen more than ten thousand rounds through it (maybe twice that, I don't know) and the only degradation is holster wear.

What year is it? What caliber? Is it a DA/SA de-cocker or DAO? $900 sounds a little too steep even with mags and holsters. Maybe. Take the model number to Gunbroker.com and search for it to get a more accurate price estimate, then add your mags and holster. Don't worry so much about the German versus NH manufacture - they're ALL good.

Or........... He's your son, Gary. Maybe just get him his Springfield and take his SIG. You'll be happy. :)D)

Reactions: MusgraveMan
#4 ·
I'm at work so I don't have the model number here. It is DA/SA Decocker. I know that. Yes he will let me try it that's nor am issue but I know I'm going to need to put a red dot on it because I can't see open sights well enough (dang tri-focals) and the only adapters I can find ate $50

#5 · (Edited)
I wear tri-focals (progressive-graduated), Gary, and I don't have much problem with sights. I think it's best to consistently use the focal level of your glasses that allows you to see the front sight in its clearest picture. Once that level is found, use it always. I think mine is my "middle" focal level but I don't know that for sure, I just know my sights are clear when I shoot. What the target looks like (blurry or clear) is not a concern to me.

You do have the model number (P226 decocker) but I think with the serial # you can find the year. Anyway, the SIG is a great weapon. Two of my favorites are the SIGs and H&Ks, but for whatever reason my hands, grip, and shooting style leave me always favoring the SIG

ON EDIT: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/580812618 A German P226 (Again, a SIG is a SIG. Don't worry about the place of manufacture)

#6 ·
I am an unabashed Sig fan. The only bad one I have ever owned was an SP2022 in 40S&W. It was very accurate but could not seem to keep parts from coming loose. My son's identical pistol does not have this problem nor does my 9mm SP2022. The 226 is a great pistol IMHO, I think you will be happy with it. As far as a fair price, that is for you to determine considering the Father Son relationship.

#7 ·
I have 5 SIGs in my family, 2 P220s, 2 P226s, and 1 P228 so of course, I'm NOT biased. IMO, hi/cap, DA/SA decocker Sigs are as modern as they come. Consider them obsolete when pistols can shoot at any target by voice command and will not shoot if held by anyone other than the owner.

I think and who cares what I think, your son is driving too hard a bargain especially when it's all in the family. I would not say this if he were bargaining with someone outside of the family. But then, it's not for me to say. It's between you and your son. I just happen to think Sig makes fine pistols.

#8 · (Edited)
If you like the sig then I would take the deal. I honestly feel the Sig P series are a far better choice than the SA range officer. My favorite is the p229.

I had one of the very first p229's in .357sig. It was a very nice high quality pistol.

I personaly buy HK first, Sig P series second, then everything else. That's just me though.

FNH is also making a nice DA/SA pistol that is very affordable. It used to be sold under the Browning name as the Pro 9 I believe. Just incase anyone happens to be looking for a new brand name DA/SA pistol.

#9 ·
I think the price is a bit high as well, I'm going to try tout shoot a couple of the speed shoots with the P226 and see if I like these types of shoots and if I do, then I'll see what deal I end up getting. I may just tell him to try to sell it and see what he can get out of it and I'll give him that.

#10 ·
Look elsewhere???

The Sig certified/reconditioned are a pretty good deal with new parts. You might even be able to get other factory options/packages from them at a discount while it's there. Their short trigger, short trigger reset, night sights, accuracy enhancing service, solid s/s guide rod etc. helped me. Beating a "fast shooter, or not" has little to do with the gun & more the shooter.

#11 ·
My elder son does six shots on target in one second with the Shield (NOT easy to get better than 7 shots, no matter the gun). Best (with a Glock) I know of is 7, but then this guy will get 7 from any modern DA. The issue is whether you can hold it on target during that one second.

Maybe the Sig is everyone´s end wish?

#12 ·
My sons P226 has the short trigger reset done to it. What else can be done to help the trigger / accuracy? I'm not concerned with the night sights because I'm going to put a red dot on it.

I'm pretty new to pistol shooting so I'm probably calling "speed shoots" the wrong name. I typically do woods walk / adventure shoots (these are like 3d Archery except you are shooting at a steel target at unknown distances out to around 100 yards and the scoring is either a hit or a miss). What I'm calling "speed shoots" you have a course the you get timed to shoot and you move through as fast as you can shooting the bad guys but not shooting hostages and your score is adjusted for how many hostages you hit.
I'm so used to shooting 1 shoot for accuracy with a 12" barrel, I'm not sure I'm going to even like being rushed or trying to hit targets with a 4.5" barrel, but I cannot imagine that the targets are as small or far away as they are for the woods walk shoots.

#15 ·
Just for interest sake: Yesterday I attended a provincial league IDPA shoot where my son won the gold in the Expert class. 12 teams of average ten shooters each competed on 9 ranges of different layout.

I made a point to ask the pistol teams which shooters were not shooting Glocks. (In the revolver team there were mostly Colt Pythons).

The eleven pistol teams all had Glocks except for nine CZ 75s and three CZ Shadow models, as well as three Sigs. All agreed that the CZ Shadow is the handgun to have for complete reliability and accuracy.

#16 ·
Like many have said Sig Pistols are well made and very reliable and they hold good capacity magazines. I bought my first 8 years ago and I currently have 6 with two of them being P226's. One P226 is a 9mm gun that I bought from a retired Michigan State Police officer. The other P226 is a 40 S&W pistol and I have a 357 Sig barrel for it also. I have 1911's, a Browning HP, and other semi auto handguns but my Sig's are my favorites.

#22 ·
To start off the only Semi auto pistols I own is my S&W Shield 40 cal. That I carry daily, and my Ruger Mk III for woods walk competitions. All my other pistols are either Contender or Encores. My son has a Sig 226 W. GERMAN that he wants to sell me, if I got this I'd probably try some speed completions buy I'm not even sure I'd like it yet.

He has 4 magazines a target holster with belt and mag. clips as well as a leather carry holster, and he wants me to purchase him a Springfield Stainless Ranger Officer in trade so somewhere between $900 - $1000.
My question is this. Is the W. GERMAN Sig 226 that good of a target gun or would I be better off getting a Springfield XDM or Glock ## instead? I know the P226's are considered as one of the best when built but how have they stood the test of time? Has the technology over the last 20 - 25 years caught up?

Thanks for the advise
Somethin to think about with a W. German Sig...

Those were made prior to the adoption of the 9mm NATO cartridge, a cartridge that has significantly more pressure and impulse than SAAMI 9mm (the ammo the Sig was designed for).

Of course everyone heard all about the Beretta's breaking slides, but few paid attention to the fact that 9mm NATO tore the Hades out of Sig slides as well. Sig had to re-design the slide to handle 9mm NATO (as did pretty much everyone else). W. German Sig's have a stamped slide with a breech block roll pinned into the slide. Post NATO slides are billet stainless.

If you feed it standard pressure 9mm, that W. German Sig will serve your grandchildren. If you feed it a steady diet of 9mm NATO, you'll kill it pretty quick.

#23 ·
Please read dates when things get posted.
Clearly you are quoting a post from 2016, and a gentleman who hasn't logged-in for 2 years.
.... And the previous post above yours, already pointed that out.

Spend some time teasing through the stickies here, such As this one in general.

Reactions: DarkLord
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.