Shooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
To start off the only Semi auto pistols I own is my S&W Shield 40 cal. That I carry daily, and my Ruger Mk III for woods walk competitions. All my other pistols are either Contender or Encores. My son has a Sig 226 W. GERMAN that he wants to sell me, if I got this I'd probably try some speed completions buy I'm not even sure I'd like it yet.

He has 4 magazines a target holster with belt and mag. clips as well as a leather carry holster, and he wants me to purchase him a Springfield Stainless Ranger Officer in trade so somewhere between $900 - $1000.
My question is this. Is the W. GERMAN Sig 226 that good of a target gun or would I be better off getting a Springfield XDM or Glock ## instead? I know the P226's are considered as one of the best when built but how have they stood the test of time? Has the technology over the last 20 - 25 years caught up?

Thanks for the advise
Somethin to think about with a W. German Sig...

Those were made prior to the adoption of the 9mm NATO cartridge, a cartridge that has significantly more pressure and impulse than SAAMI 9mm (the ammo the Sig was designed for).

Of course everyone heard all about the Beretta's breaking slides, but few paid attention to the fact that 9mm NATO tore the Hades out of Sig slides as well. Sig had to re-design the slide to handle 9mm NATO (as did pretty much everyone else). W. German Sig's have a stamped slide with a breech block roll pinned into the slide. Post NATO slides are billet stainless.

If you feed it standard pressure 9mm, that W. German Sig will serve your grandchildren. If you feed it a steady diet of 9mm NATO, you'll kill it pretty quick.

Please read dates when things get posted.
Clearly you are quoting a post from 2016, and a gentleman who hasn't logged-in for 2 years.
.... And the previous post above yours, already pointed that out.

Spend some time teasing through the stickies here, such As this one in general.

Reactions: DarkLord
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.