Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I recently bought a Rem mod 700 in 22-250. Has a Bushnell 6-18 power scope and I bought 2 boxes of Hornaday 55grn v-max ammo to start with. I went to the range tonite with 3 friends. Started to sight it in and is seems as if this gun defies the laws of gravity. Got it to were it was hitting 1 and a half inches high at 100 yds. 3 inches high at 200 yds and 4 inches high at 300 yds.???????? Why? A little more info on the gun. It was a used gun with a custom stock, a Douglas Bull Barrel, the scope was new. Burris bases. The scope is good and tight, the gun will shoot groups but why do the rounds continue to climb all the way out to 300 yds? All shots were taken from sand bags and taking the same sight picture. Any help at all would be a big help. None of the guys there have ever seen anything like this.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Do you have some of the "shoot-through" scope mounts that result in the scope being 2" or more above the barrel? I can't think of anything else, off the top of my head, that would result in such unusual trajectory.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Try sighting in dead on at 100 yards. Suspect the velocity is such that the bullet is still climbing until it peaks out at around 300 yards. Had similar occurances with some loads myself sighted high at 100 yards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have some of the "shoot-through" scope mounts that result in the scope being 2" or more above the barrel? I can't think of anything else, off the top of my head, that would result in such unusual trajectory.

No I don't have those type mounts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try sighting in dead on at 100 yards. Suspect the velocity is such that the bullet is still climbing until it peaks out at around 300 yards. Had similar occurances with some loads myself sighted high at 100 yards.
even yhe balsitics table shows that the ammo i am shooting zeroed at 200 yds it should be like 5.2 inches low at 300 it makes no sense

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
From your original post that information indicates the flight path of your bullet is rising out to 300 yards and possibily beyond. I would re-zero the rifle at 100 yards with your scope set at the lowest setting i.e. 6X. Then I would crank up the scope power to 18X checking your zero point.

Another possibility is to bag the rifle on the shooting bench. Remove the bolt and bore sight on a target at 100 yards. Next check your scope sighting without moving the rifle from the bore sighting position. They should be nearly identical.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
As you know, all bullets fall as soon as they leave the barrel so I would expect the problem to be in the scope mounts or the scope itself. You didn't mention what power or powers you used when shooting, but I would put that rifle on paper at 100 yards and then shoot 1 shot at 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 power settings. This would only be to make certain that the Bushnell is performing correctly. If it does shoot to the same POI throughout the power band, your problem would have to be in the mounts or rings, possibly something where the front one would be lower than the rear one - either a mismatch by the previous owner or less likely bad machining by the manufacturer.
Forrest,

I've got to concur with cvc944 on this problem: You've either got an internal issue with your scope or your mounts are seriously out of whack. There are no bullets with a velocity/BC combination that will result in the trajectory you are seeing, so there has to be something wrong with the sights/scope.

Jason

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
while i agree 100% with the method noted above on verifing that the POI is not changing at different magnification settings, if he was always shooting at the same power setting (say 18x) at the differant distances it would not make any difference on his POI. i would zero it at 300 and then shoot at 100 and 200 and see where they are hitting. i am wondering if you have extra high mounts contributing to the isse along with any internal scope issues you may or may not have. if you were not useing different power settings when shooting at the various distances then my gut would say it is something with the ring hight you are using. what series of Bushnell where you using? if it is one of the cheaper lines (opposed to the Elite line) and you were useing differant power settings at different distances then yea you now understand why you must pay to play when it comes to optics and higher magnification ranges. just put the rifle into a vise, site in at highest power at a small dot at 100 yrds then while looking through the scope dial it down as low as it will go. is the cross hairs still centered on the dot?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts