Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays!

I am interested in the changes or modifications you may have made with the sights on your lever gun.

I have a new Marlin 1895 45-70 22" I have been shoting 400 gr JFP at 1800 fps (HSM rounds). At 100 yards they have been shoting about 6-8" low even with the elevator all the way to the rear. :( I would like this round to be dead on at 100 yards, and have the hotter round higher and whimpie rounds lower at 100 yards.

Any suggestions?

I have looked at these on the web:

The Lyman No. 2 Tang Sight:

Smith Buckhorn/Elevator:

Marbles:

Williams Fire Sight:

AO Sight Systems - Ghost Ring Sets:

Any Suggestions

Happy Trails -Tim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
I wouldn't use a tang sight with a .45-70, you could easily put your eye out.

Marshall has some of the Ashley sights and I believe his is quite fond of them.

·
Banned
739 Posts
I use a Williams and-or a Lyman reciever sight with a flat top post sight on all my lever guns.

I can't focus on multiple round shapes, so that's why the flat top front sights. And the tang sights are very uncomfortable to use, they get in the way of my hand on the stock, and are too close to my eye.

To correct the shooting low you might try a shorter front sight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bitterroot - before you go to all that trouble I suggest that you give Marlin a call and explain your problem to them. It seems that many people on the Marlin talk board had this same problem because of a wrong elevator for the rear sight had been installed in error. Marlin will send you the correct part. You can also go to the website there and search the archives for posts relating to your problem. I use the AO sights on my 1895G 45/70 and I don't miss those junky factory sights. CEJ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CEJ, Thanks for the info. I'll call Marlin.

The AO and the Full Buckhorns seems like they would work will close up? How do they work at 100 yards?

This is my first lever gun and I want to use iron sights. I have scopes on all my rifles but an old 22.

I also want to try to avoid using the tang sight.

How about fiber front sight or a taller front sight. The Factory front sight seems huge at 100 hards and covers a 8/15 11" target.

Thanks Everybody for the information. I'll keep every body posted on what I do.

Bitterroot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CEJ, Thanks for the info. I'll call Marlin.

The AO and the Full Buckhorns seems like they would work will close up? How do they work at 100 yards?

This is my first lever gun and I want to use iron sights. I have scopes on all my rifles but an old 22.

I also want to try to avoid using the tang sight.

How about fiber front sight or a taller front sight. The Factory front sight seems huge at 100 hards and covers a 8/15 11" target.

Thanks Everybody for the information. I'll keep every body posted on what I do.

Bitterroot

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Bitterroot:
I put a Williams on my old Marlin and I had to put a higher front sight on. So try yours before you change the front sight. A small bead definitely helps on a long shot.

I'm not sure how I'd like the regular Ashley ghost ring. The Williams ring, without a disk, disappears on me at times. It might be my eyes. Ashley has a ghost ring that takes the regular disks.

Wils West Guns has a ghost ring sight with huge protective ears.
http://www.wildwestguns.com/

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have the Williams peep with Firesight on my 45/70 GG. Plenty of sight for what I use it for. When dark rolls around, I take the aperature out and put it in my pocket so that I get a true ghost ring. With the aperature in, I easilly get within minute of moose at 200 yds and minute of rabbit at fifty. Tight groups on paper are nice, but paper makes a mighty thin soup.

Scotty

·
Registered
516 Posts
Bitteroot - I have the William's Fool Proof rear, and the Fire Sight front on my 45-70 guide gun. I also removed the guts on the FP, but on a permanent basis, and I'm very happy with this system. I have and have had other rifles set up this way also. 350 gr. HC bullets over 48 gr. h4198. I hate to put this gun away. Good luck.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have several different makes of peep sights on my 1886 Winchesters and like them all. My favorite is probably the old Lyman model 21, followed by the 66. The Winchester bolt peep also works for me. I put a Williams FP on my Winroku Extra Light. There are no tang mounted sights on any of the rifles that are regularly used for hunting. Tang sights are great at the range, but not in the field. At least for these old eyes, anyway. The standard front sights seem to work fine with all of these sights,too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On my Marlins I use the Williams receiver sight, with the hunting aperture and elevation slide solidly bottomed against the top of the receiver for protection. The front sight is the Ashley Outdoors paralell-sided, white-line blade, the height of which is carefully selected in range trials, using the plastic blank furnished with the sight.

My .357 Magnum M1894C is zeroed to strike center of a 6" MGMtargets.com Colt Speed Plate with a 6:00 hold at 100 yards, or about 3" above the top of the front sight.

This enables me to use a center of mass hold with magnum ammunition to about 150 yards, or with standard veloicity 158-gr. lead .38 Special ammunition to 100 yards. At closer ranges most field and game targets work fine with a 6:00 hold.

My .30-30 rifle is equipped similarly and zeroed the same way. but using 150-gr. softpoint handloads at 2250 f.p.s. in the 20" barrel using 34 grs. of RL-15 with the Remington Core-Lokt bullet. This lets you shoot essentially dead-on out to 150 yards, which is the realistic field limit you should be shooting with a lever-action .30-30 anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts