Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
On my Marlins I use the Williams receiver sight, with the hunting aperture and elevation slide solidly bottomed against the top of the receiver for protection. The front sight is the Ashley Outdoors paralell-sided, white-line blade, the height of which is carefully selected in range trials, using the plastic blank furnished with the sight.

My .357 Magnum M1894C is zeroed to strike center of a 6" MGMtargets.com Colt Speed Plate with a 6:00 hold at 100 yards, or about 3" above the top of the front sight.

This enables me to use a center of mass hold with magnum ammunition to about 150 yards, or with standard veloicity 158-gr. lead .38 Special ammunition to 100 yards. At closer ranges most field and game targets work fine with a 6:00 hold.

My .30-30 rifle is equipped similarly and zeroed the same way. but using 150-gr. softpoint handloads at 2250 f.p.s. in the 20" barrel using 34 grs. of RL-15 with the Remington Core-Lokt bullet. This lets you shoot essentially dead-on out to 150 yards, which is the realistic field limit you should be shooting with a lever-action .30-30 anyway.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts