Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my Rossi 92 drilled and tapped for a Redfield receiver sight that I recently bought. I have been told that I might have to replace the front sight with a taller one in order to keep from shooting high with the receiver sight adjusted all the way down. The front sight on the Rossi is part of the front barrel band. Does anyone know of a source for taller front sights for this rifle? I am thinking I may have to remove the existing front sight and have a dovetail machined on the front of the barrel for a dovetail type front sight. I want to avoid the expense of this if possible. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
GaryK

I've been there and done what you're working on.  The Redfield sight will sit a little higher than would either a Lyman 66 or the Williams, so a taller front sight will be necessary.  Either of the options you mention are viable, and I don't know of an aftermarket replacement band and sight for the model 92's.

However, being the independent type that I am, and somewhat conservative with my funds, I've got an alternative for you that has worked very nicely for me on both M92's that have reciever sights added to them, as well as the little Rossi 62's (pump action 22's that I added home-grown peep sights on for both myself and my son.

It's really a simple matter of taking a file, and dressing the top of your front sight (after removing the barrel band from your gun), just enough to make it square and sharp, then using a piece of brass brazing rod (available at any hardware store), that has been cut to a length matching the length of the top of your sight, and silver-soldering (soft silver solder also available at the hardware store) the new "brass bead" into place. After finishing with the soldering job, use Swede files to do final dressing and shaping of your rebuilt sight and you're done.  All four of the guns I've done this on have turned out great, and the addition of the "brass bead" on top was just enough to bring the muzzle down properly to allow for a little rear sight adjustment for fine tuning zero of the rifles.  If you prefer a square top, sourdough type of sight, simply get a brass brazing rod considerably larger in diameter than the width of the top of your sight, then file a flat on one side of the piece cut to length for your sight, silver solder into place, then "square-up" the sides and top with some quick file work, and your sight is complete.  Did this on one of the four... works superbly, and the brass "bead" is very fast to find in the aperture when sighting.

Hope this helps.... if you need photos I can take some for you, but I think you can get a pretty good picture in your mind's eye of this little quick fix!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
178 Posts
Marshall Stanton,

This is a great idea, and not only a fix but an improvement as well. I have the opposite problem of a high front sight that requires my Williams sight to be at the top of its' adjustment range. I know that I can simply file it down but I did not want to lose my brass bead. Now, I can file to a better height plus a bit and replace my bead this way.

Thanks,
Fireplug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts