Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I wanted to join your forum and started with purchasing a 94 Ranger until I get my dad's older 94. I'm a military guy overseas presently.
I shot the Ranger badly. My buddies told me about Williams sights. I ordered a Foolproof model for the AE. Does anyone know if the rifle is pre-drilled for the sight?

Also, I cannot finfd the year....Williams asked in an email. It is a Model 94 Ranger,
ser # 5647xxx.

Any help would be great.[/size]

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,112 Posts
Welcome to the board and thank you for your service, rifleman.

I edited the serial number you posted, as its not a good idea to post a complete number on the internet. Never know who's going to try and use it fraudulently.

If you have the rifle with you, or your dad can help out, look on the left side of the receiver (as you're holding it) and see if there's some small holes plugged with dummy screws. If so, that's where you mount the sight.

Send the serial number to Williams since you've found it and also ask them the same question on the pre-drilled mounting holes or not.

·
Banned
421 Posts
That serial # would indicate a post-64 gun, which should be D&T for the sight from the factory. IMO the FP is the way to go! To me, peep sights make a huge difference in accuracy over open sights.
Enjoy that 94 rifleshooter, and thank you for your service to our country. May God bless you and keep you safe!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Can anyone translate the serial number into a year? I know it is newer, but can's remember seeing the dummy screws in the drilled /tapped left side of receiver.

·
Banned
397 Posts
You don't have to look up dates and stuff. If there are no screw holes on the left
hand side of the gun (usually filled with blank screws, no heads) then it has to
be drilled and tapped by you or a gunsmith. This is a very simple job for a gunsmith.
I just had a gunsmith mount a Lyman on my .32 Special (pre 64). It came out good
and my tired old eyes really appreciate it. Thanks for you service in the Military.
Zeke

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Rifleshooter,
I'm not positive but....I think the AE versions of the Williams Receiver sights mount in the top pre-drilled scope mounts of the AE rifles. So if your ranger isn't new enough to be an AE then you may need the older version receiver sight and the holes on the side as mentioned above. Thus obviously if your rifle is tapped on the top, you shouldn't need the side holes. I know the AE Big Bore Williams Receiver sight mounts to the top scope mount holes.
thanks and keep your head down over there!
C

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks. Can anyone translate the serial number into a year? I know it is newer, but can's remember seeing the dummy screws in the drilled /tapped left side of receiver.
Sorry, cannot help with dating the serial number.

If the two dummy screws are not found near the top rear of the left side of the receiver, look for screws on the top of the receiver at the rear, on either side of the bolt.

I agree with your buddies -- I shoot much better with a receiver peep sight than I do with open sights. (Of course, my eyes are older than yours.)

Add my thanks to the others for your service.

The Old Guy

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Your .30-30 Ranger is an angle-eject Model 94AE, made in the mid-late 1980's.

It will be drilled/tapped atop the receiver for scope mount bases, on the front receiver ring and on the rear of each sidewall.

Williams make two different receiver peep sights, that are a screwdriver job to install on your rifle, utilizing the two rear scope mount prep holes after first removing the hole's filler screws - the Williams FP-94AE & the 5D-94AE.

The 5D sight has grubscrew-secured sliding W/E adjustments and is 1/2 the cost of the screw-adjustable FP (which is also available with target knobs as the FP-94AE-TK)

Since you may not be used to shooting a levergun, I would suggest that you refrain from laying the forend or mag tube on a front rest while shooting, as the rifle will recoil away from the surface in an unregulated manner.
You may find it conducive to better accuracy by shooting a levergun with the various parts of the rifle touching only your hands/shoulder - with your body parts against the supports/rests.

The front sight of your Ranger, being mounted directly in the barrel ILO a sight ramp, should easily zero @ 100yds - but may need a dollop of bright nail polish so it will stand out on game shots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct it mounts on top

Report from home.....Correct, it mounts on top, across the bolt, not on the left side of receiver. Ordered the FP94-AE from Midway, it comes with a new front sight. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Your rifle is indeed an AE model and made prior to the cross bolt safety. The rifle was made in 1990 according to the serial number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts