Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have finally decided to put one of these on my 444P. Whice one is the best and easiest to use and adjust???

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hi Tony,
Well, I'm no expert on the topic.  I have used a set of Williams peeps on a 336 for 20 years and just started using the Ashley Ghost rings around the first of the year.  Some folks do not like the way the Ashley's sit higher than the Williams (which is the same as the factory sights).  I have a fairly broad face so I like the Ashley fit better.  I love the white flat post for a front sight on the Ashley's.  While the Ashleys cost more, I think they will take more of a beating than the Williams.  Of course, it's generally not a good idea to beat any of the sights.  I think the clincher for me with the Ashley's is that I can use different size ghost rings to suit my eyes and shooting style.  It's all subtle differences based on each person.  I like them both but the rifle I will be hunting with this year will wear the Ashley's.

God bless..............  Bill M

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Tony,  I'm with Bill M, I too have a set of Ashley Ghost ring on a Marlin 1894s. The white flat post front sight works very well for me. I also have a set of Lyman peeps on a Muzzle Loader they are nice but, they're not Ashley. Which every one you choose they will be better than factory! Have fun deciding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tony:

You can use both!  I have a Lyman 66 aperture and an Ashley front post (.250 high, which is slightly less than the factory bead, and .08 wide) on my 1895ss.  You could do the same with the Williams.  I use the screw-in disk for load development shooting and sight-in, and take it out when hunting, which leaves a ghost-ring.  As mentioned by others, the Lyman or Williams set-up is not as high as the Ashley, which may or may not be a concern to you.

I put the Lyman aperture on before I had heard of Ashley Outdoors.  Since I prefer a post to a bead, I probably would have gone the Ashley set-up route had I been aware of it at the time.  

As Pfoley said, either option is better than the factory sights.

Ray

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Tony,

I'd opt for the Williams since I'm cheap, it can work with a modified Weaver scope base if optics are in your future, and I don't have to special oder one. The Ashleys, although an excellent design, are significantly more expensive, cannot be used in conjunction with a scope, and require a mail order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts