Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the range trying to zero my 1895 .270.  At 100 yards, I'd like it to hit 2 inches high.  But the steps on my rear sight ramp won't do this.  I have to settle for either 4-1/2" high or 1" low.  Any suggestions?

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Mule,
Between steps there's a 5" difference at 100 yards?  Hmmmm, let's see, I'd give the fella's at Winchester a call and see if the ramp can be replaced (by them, for free).  Maybe you got a ramp intended for the 405 Win chambering.  Are the groups you are shooting pretty tight?  In something that shoots as flat as the 270, 5" is a huge difference.  You could also try a side mounted peep, if'n you like them.  Or, have a 'smith to install a new sight altogether.

That's about all from this corner of the snow bank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess I should have said, I'm using a 160 grain bullet, but still.  She's grouping real nice.  One 3 shot group under 1".  Not bad for open sights and old eyes, huh?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,160 Posts
Hi Muleskinner,
     I'm not extremely familiar with the 1895, but if it is adaptable to a receiver sight I'd go that route. I have two lever guns and one bolt action with peeps, and I really like 'em. If you'd rather use the open sights I'd try contacting the manufacturer about a ramp with finer steps. Let us know what you find out. I'd sort of like to know what Browningchester's service is like these days... ID

PS- Brownell's sells ramps of different flavors if you get no satisfaction from the manufacturer.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Mule,
Anytime you can put 3 shots into an 1" or less at 100 yards is good shooting, no matter what your age.  I'd definitely give the manufacturer a call.  They may have to go to Miroku, but you shouldn't have to.  Having said that, if they do have to through Miroku (or however it is spelled) it may take awhile.  If you got one of the last rifles produced in the 270 chambering, it could have gotten a 405 sight ramp.  Might be a tiny mistake at the factory, but ends up being big for the person that uses it in the field.  Let us know what you decide and what the outcome is.

Good luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Actually, you don't have to replace the ramp.  My father, who I am reluctant to call an "old timer", grew up before scopes.  His solution was to take a "3-cornered file" and file the step of the ramp that shoots too high very slowly and carefully until it shoots at the required point of impact.  

The problem with this solution is that it only works for a single load, unless, by luck, you find a second load that shoots to the same point of impact.  If you get a second ramp, however, you can adjust it for a second load.

dclark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, young feller.  That sounds center to me.  I've got an extra ramp from an 86 that I put a ladder sight on.  I'll give 'er a shot.  Tell your old man thanks too.  So, if she's 5" high on one and 1" low on another, that's six inches different and I want her to move 3".  So stands to reason I should file off half the difference between the two steps?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that took all of 10 minutes to fix.  The steps were .110 and .130 high.  A couple swipes with a sharp file and I now have a .120 step.  A little cold blue and it's just like new.

·
Banned
554 Posts
It might be easier to just file the bottom of the ramp down.  

You still have the wide spacing issue, but you can bring the present "high" notch down where you need it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Muleskinner,

I'm glad that was so easy.  I would like to thank my dad but he's been dead for 15 years.  He just left a good legacy.

dclark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts