Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range yesterday to sight in my Rem. Genesis. Mueller 3x10 TAC II on top. I was using Blackhorn powder, Win 209 primers, and shock wave 250 gr. sabots. What a nice surprise. After getting my shots centered, I had 4 of the 250s left. I wanted to fire 2 at 50 yds. and 2 at 100yds to determine the amount of drop.
My 2 shots at 50 were literally in the same hole. Very impressive. My 2 shots at 100 were also in the same hole. Unbelievable! I then fired my last load of 110 grs. with a Remington 275 gr. sabot. It printed about 1" to the left of the 250's.
I was thinking about getting rid of the Genesis just because of all the comments re the accuracy of the Savage 110, but I don't think so now. I can't imagine that I would be getting a more accurate rifle.
Bob

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Bob.. nice shooting. I have to agree, the Remington Genesis was a rifle overlooked by many. And they will flat out shoot. Mine was not fussy at all. It shoots about anything I want to stuff down it.

When they came a sale a couple years ago, I debated whether I really needed another inline rifle. But I decided to jump on the Genesis for a couple reason. First and foremost was the price. At the time with the sale, there was a $50.00 rebate from Remington also. Second, the rifle could shoot BlackHorn 209 and I wanted to do a lot of testing of that powder. BlackHorn worked great in my rifle. Also it was a stainless steel barrel so it would be easy to clean. And I just liked the over all looks of the rifle.

That is the rifle with a T/C 1x32mm scope for our muzzle loading season. We are not allowed magnification in our scopes. But when I did the range works, and for modern rifle season I mount a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm scope on it. With that scope the rifle is deadly.

Another powder I discovered by accident you might say, that really made me take notice of the Genesis was Pyrodex RS Pellets. I had been in a Wal Mart at their end of clearance and for the fun of it, bought a couple boxes of the Pyrodex RS Pellets. I was shooting them out of most of the rifles and when the Genesis had a turn on the range, the accuracy with two pellets (100 grains) and a 250 grains Barnes MZ Expander.

After shooting this group, my poor heart would not let me risk two more shots. This was at 63 yards I believe. It was in the winter and I could not move my bench rest as it was frozen to the ground. But that three shot group measured under .479 I believe, and the bullets were .451. Another bullet it liked with the pellets were the .40 caliber 200 grain Shock waves. It shot them really good also.

I have since shot the Genesis at 100 yards and printed two groups that were dead center bulls and just over one inch in measurement for three shots. I did a five shot group that went 1.65 inches. Then again I did another group one day that was 3 inches and growing....

But I like my Genesis. Its easy to clean, shoulders well, and just plain shoots...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice shooting Cayugad. Quick story about me and my Genesis. I also bought mine with the rebate. It is my first ML, and I didn't know if I would like it. So I didn't want to spend much. My expectations were kinda low for accuracy. Last year, shortly after buying it, I went to the range and started shooting. After about the 3rd shot, I fired another, and BOOM. The recoil knocked me off my chair, and the rifle fell to the ground. I was bleeding with scope cuts over my eye and nose. I didn't know what happened until I couldn't find the ramrod. Well, I didn't shoot the gun again until yesterday. I must admit I was kind of nervous, but after the first shot got on paper at 50 I was OK.
Conclusion is that the Genesis is one tough gun, and is very accurate.
Bob

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well ramrods can be hard on a scope eye. Glad to hear the rifle was not injured. I like the Genesis actually. I want to do some really long range shooting with mine this year. There is a range about 35 miles from me that has a 200 yards range. I might go there and see what they charge for shooting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great shooting, both of you guys. A friend of mine has a rem genesis, and realy likes the way his shoots. Accurate, easy to clean.

Cayugad: If you ever get to Western NY give me a shout, I have a 400 yd plus range that wont cost you a dime to shoot at!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Wazz13... what is the longest you have every practiced with your muzzle loader at? It sounds like if anyone should know... what do you feel is the max distance these things scoped, can shoot to hunting accuracy?

That would be something to have a range that long. Mine is a hair over 100 yards. But where I hunt, the average shot is 50 yards and under. So it really suits my needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts