Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just set one 110 savage 06[22 inch barrel] at 2 high for the 165 fed fusion rnd ..
then a second 110 savage 06[same length barrel] for 2 high at the 100yds with 180 winchester power point....now the fusion is a tad more accurate than the winchester rnd..but both shoot pretty much on the money ,with a flyer from the winchester occasionally.i ll have to live with that..
my question.. can i expect both to shoot the same ballistically at say 300 or so..both have the bushnell 4-12 scope..
the days are gone when i could check it by field test..
the reason for setting them this way is most of my stocked up ammo is
these two rnds..thanks slim

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Without knowing the velocity figures for both, it's impossible to give exact trajectories. I suspect you'd have to sight in 3" high at 100, with the 180 grain bullets, to get a similar trajectory to the 165 sighted in 2" high, at 100. If you want both of them to be "fire and forget" out to ~300 yards, I would sight them in 3" high at 100 yards. This can be said for pretty much any common deer/elk rifle firing bullets between 100 and 250 grains, and generating velocity between 2700 and 3100fps.

Mike the Moderator has an excellent graph depicting this phenomenon.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Everything else being equal.... the ballistics coeficient of the bullet will determine how far they will drop at a given distance. Your 165 gr could drop more than the 180 @ 300 if the 180 has a higher BC when they are both traveling at the same velocity. If you drop them both at the same time, they will hit the ground at the same time regaurdless of weight.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Your 2" high zero will be fine. At 400 yards there will be about 2" worth of difference and I doubt you will notice it at shorter ranges.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Your 2" high zero will be fine. At 400 yards there will be about 2" worth of difference and I doubt you will notice it at shorter ranges.
Old Grump,

You are correct. Both rounds have virtually the same trajectory and the 165 is only slightly flatter. However, as the numbers below illustrate, sighting in 2" high at 100 yards limits your maximum PBR, considerably.

Federal Fusion 165gr load, published MV of 2790, BC of .430.
2" high at 100 puts you dead on at 210, 7.5" low at 300 and 22.6" low at 400 yards.
3" high at 100 puts you dead on at 250, 4.2" low at 300 and 18.0" low at 400 yards.
Maximum Point Blank Range for 8" diameter kill zone = 309 yards. Zero at 263, 3.4" high at 100.

Winchester PowerPoint 180gr, published MV of 2700, BC of .438.
2" high at 100 puts you dead on at 200, 8.6" low at 300 and 24.7" low at 400 yards.
3" high at 100 puts you dead on at 235, 5.7" low at 300 and 21.0" low at 400 yards.
Maximum Point Blank Range for 8" diameter kill zone = 299 yards. Zero at 254, 3.5" high at 100.

So, Slim, in looking at the actual numbers, I stand corrected: Presuming your rifle shoots them to the same POI, both bullets can both be sighted in the same. I would still suggest 3" at 100 yards, to get the most range from your gun, without ever being more than 4" above your line of sight.

The 180gr bullet, in particular, benefits quite a bit from being sighted in 3.0 - 3.5" high at 100, especially when shots get close to 300 yards.

·
Banned
105 Posts
You need to shoot the rounds and find out where they hit in your gun with your loads. Charts are great but way too many guys hunt from charts and think it makes up for having shot the distances. Shot them enough to be confident in you and the gun.
Never shoot at an animal at ranges that you don't shoot targets at, and have the ability to hit those targets.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
thanks fellows ..i appreciate your putting some thought in to my question..
what you say is true sharps.. i just don t have the time an such to actually get the field work done as im pretty busy with a very sick wife who is in a nursing home,40 min from my house..
later on i ll fine tune to get more exact data as to what really happpens out at 300 ..i may in fact slip it on up to 3 high sight in,, then ..
thanks again. slim
i appreciate the data chart , broom.

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
This I Say

Careful sighting in ___" high at ___yds. This,in my experience tends to make the hunter shoot OVER the game animal.

I say sight the weapon in so you can hold hair(very top of his back)at the "normal" ranges that you expect to have to shoot at. Realizing this can be pretty "iffy",this should take you out to the average ranges that 95% of all hunters have the opportunity to shoot at.

Another thought,can you close the distance anyway ?? Don't be lazy. So you gotta crawl a little. So you gotta go around here and over there. That's hunting. If it feels like the shot could be too far see if you can get closer.

Most of the chamberings that we hunt with are flat to super flat shooting. The 45-70 guys(like me)should just expect to get close or simply open the safe again.

We should also remember that the velocity of a bullet will effect the trajectory quite a bit more than the BC unless two bullets have a number that is .100(or so) apart. ----pruhdlr

·
Banned
674 Posts
The point is he will be able to shoot dead on at the heart area at any range between 100-250 and be in the kill zone. Raise it up between the heart and the back bone and still be in the kill zone at 300 with barely an inch difference in impact point. Beyond that he really needs to know the range and be able to dial it up on his scope and at 300+ you needs to be taking wind into account as a factor.

Realistically at reasonable hunting ranges with an 06 he is good to go. Realistic is 200 and under if you do not want to be fiddling with range finders and counting clicks on your scope when the meat is on its feet and wanting to go someplace else while you are dialing in.

I am a 180 grain shooter myself and I am dead on at 200 with .75 MOA. I'm good to 250 and I could shoot longer but I won't. Just my opinion but I am to old to go chasing down deer that I didn't make a clean kill on when it's going to take me 6 or 7 minutes of walking to get where he was before I screwed up. 200 and under is meat in the pot. That is more important than a bragging shot. Besides the closer the deer is to me the less walking I have to do before slicing and dicing, at my age that counts for a lot.

With only a few exceptions most of my shots have been 60 yards and under but I still do 2" up at 100 to zero. When you reach dinosaur status you look for the easy shot but prepare for the challenge shot.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The point is he will be able to shoot dead on at the heart area at any range between 100-250 and be in the kill zone. Raise it up between the heart and the back bone and still be in the kill zone at 300 with barely an inch difference in impact point. Beyond that he really needs to know the range and be able to dial it up on his scope and at 300+ you needs to be taking wind into account as a factor.

Realistically at reasonable hunting ranges with an 06 he is good to go. Realistic is 200 and under if you do not want to be fiddling with range finders and counting clicks on your scope when the meat is on its feet and wanting to go someplace else while you are dialing in.

I am a 180 grain shooter myself and I am dead on at 200 with .75 MOA. I'm good to 250 and I could shoot longer but I won't. Just my opinion but I am to old to go chasing down deer that I didn't make a clean kill on when it's going to take me 6 or 7 minutes of walking to get where he was before I screwed up. 200 and under is meat in the pot. That is more important than a bragging shot. Besides the closer the deer is to me the less walking I have to do before slicing and dicing, at my age that counts for a lot.

With only a few exceptions most of my shots have been 60 yards and under but I still do 2" up at 100 to zero. When you reach dinosaur status you look for the easy shot but prepare for the challenge shot.
My thoughts exactly! When there's a chance of seeing a critter where I wouldn't want to pack it out , I have a tendancy not to look that direction.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.