Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with a friend and we both had been loading new bullets to try while being quarantined. I took 3 rifles my Ruger 77 RSI in 250-3000 Savage,my Savage model 99 in 308 and finally my Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 9x56 MS. I had loaded Hornady 117 grain round nose for the 250 sav. Fired 2 rounds of the 117 grain spire point boat tails we used last year to check zero. They were touching dead center of bull. Then shot 3 of round nose they were 1\2" lower in a .56" cluster. My buddy says I wouldn't adjust anything. All 5 rounds inside the center 1 inch square of bull. Put that gun away. Next up was the model 99. I had found a box of old stock Hornady 165 grain round nose 308 at the last gun show I attended in Morris Run PA before they started cancelling all events. Buddy said he'll I will tape the back side of these holes and you can use the same target. I fired 3 rounds. We went down to check and they were 1.5 inches below All in a 1.75" group. Adjusted scope ( 3x9 leupold) up1.5" fired 3 more rounds. 2 were in the center of bull didn't see 3 rd round. Buddy walked around. Back of target and stuck a stick thru the hole. It had enlarged one of the 250 holes. I now had 6 rounds from 2 different guns all in the same 1 inch square center bull. My friend said you better stop on the way home and buy a lottery ticket. In 20 years of reloading I have never shot 2 groups like that from 2 different guns. I am going to the round noses to get better performance on game without all the bloodshot meat loss. My buddy has his Remington 722 in 6mms with 90 grain sierras. 3 rounds were 2 inches low with a @2.5 inch group. He checked scope mount screws all tight. I suggested he check the action bedding screw. It was loose. Tightened it up a d fired 3 more rounds. 1 inch high .75" group. I said well I need to try the Mannlicher as I had the rear sight reworked into an express style with a gold inlayed line in center as I was having trouble centering the front sight . First shot in the center of bull. I was a bit too exuberant and the next round was 1 .75 low but on line with first round. 3rd round I pulled the shot 3 inches right. I said one more with set trigger. It was touching first round. My buddy laughs and said well you can't blame the gun. And on that note I quit. It is always gratifying when your reloads perform as well as you had hoped. Those deer are in trouble this year. I can't wait to see how these round noses perform on game.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I have several .308 shells loaded-up with Speer 150 grain RNSPs that I plan to use, for close shots, this upcoming Deer season. I've used them before and they have proven to be very accurate and effective on Deer, being non-explosive at .308 velocity with reloads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my only concern with the 150 RN is they are designed for 30-30 velocity around 2000 FPS.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i think that they are rated at 2500-2600fps? i used 150gr hornady rn in my '06, 30-30 and 308 and they all killed deer at 100 yards and less.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used them in my sons 300 savage 99 to good effect.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I use Hornady 150 and 170 grain 30 cal on deer. Loaded in 308, and '06 work great DRT. the round and flat nose bullet have poor BC. But that doesn't matter under 300 yards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts