Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot predominately open sighted for most of my life, with both eyes open. Now I find myself shooting more and more through a scope, and I am really struggling with sighting. With both eyes open I find I often see double, and have a **** of a time focusing downrange through the scope than what I can see peripherally with my other eye. It causes a lot of strain, gives me a headache, and is just generally becoming frustrating.

Now I know shooting with both eyes open is the correct and most accurate way to shoot. But at this point I don't know how be able to shoot like that with the scope. I am concerned that my ADHD is a part of why I can't focus through the scope with two eyes.

I am so frustrated I am considering saying "**** with two eyes" and getting an eyepatch.

Any input or similar experiences would be much appreciated.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,904 Posts
1) Now I know shooting with both eyes open is the correct and most accurate way to shoot.

2) I am so frustrated I am considering saying "**** with two eyes" and getting an eyepatch.

Any input or similar experiences would be much appreciated.
1) "Correct, & Most Accurate" are words used for an individual set of preferences. As an example, I'm right handed so the "Correct" way to shoot a rifle is holding it right handed. That doesn't mean you CANNOT shoot it left handed, in fact I can, but for me that is the better of the choices. No different when it comes to having your eyes wide shut:D Shoot however is most agreeable to you, ignore what someone else says is the "Correct" way to do it.
2) Funny you should say that, as I was reading, that is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest! :cool:
I've actually used a bandana on folks to help with an eye dominance issue.

We are talking about a hobby, not how to please Zeus. Do whatever works for you, and have fun with it.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Cheers

Reactions: 60DRB

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,595 Posts
Our boy Darrker is pretty wise for a yonker.

Aye for the eye patch/bandana.

RJ

·
Premium Member
8,588 Posts
Certainly shooting both eyes open with a shotgun is by far the best way. I see people with sticky tape on shooting glasses etc etc., when you really just need to have your gun fitted properly by a man who knows about these things.
NOW ...shooting using a scope on a rifle, I have always had both eyes open as well because that is how I was taught 70yrs ago and training tactically latter on in life it was essential to maintain vision as far around as 180 plus as you could, so handgun as well. The dominant eye takes over I assume.
NOW, how long at any one time do you stare down a scope? Only should be long enough to acquire the target and set everything in motion ...20 seconds absolute maximum ???
Find out which is your master eye, because if you are seeing double you may not be using that one and it is trying to take over. Try shooting from your other shoulder and see what happens.
End of the day if all else fails, then just close the non focusing eye, that way no need for patches and such.

Anyway , welcome aboard and hope we can offer some help.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,904 Posts
Come on Sus, your not that well seasoned are you?;)

I suppose it depends on what she is doing with the scope. When I'm shooting at great distances I'm behind the glass for a long period of time. 20 seconds is what I use trying to read the bloody wind alone!:D

I didn't really think about it, but i don't think I have both eyes open looking through my scopes. If I do, it's the whole dominant eye thing, because I don't notice anything out of the other one. I can't say I purposely close or keep my left eye open, just focused on my target.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm definitely shooting my dominant eye. I am totally useless with my right eye. I used to shoot off my right shoulder because I am right handed and still had to sight with my left eye. Now I am working on getting better at shooting off my left because its easier than cross sighting. I don't spent an unreasonable time looking down the scope each shot but if I am shooting a lot in a day that adds up. I'm going to try with the patch (would rather use a patch than just squeeze it shut because that gets tiring too.)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The brightness sensing and muscle control that drives the iris size is shared between both eyes, so if you shut one eye, your brain thinks the average brightness just went down, and it will dilate the pupil on both eyes, meaning you are overloading the open eye with brightness. This leads to eye fatigue.\

Shooting service rifle, I use blinder, just white cardboard, taped to my shooting glasses. It blocks the vision in my left eye.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,420 Posts
Try it any way you can think of and see what works best. After all, it's results we're after ;)

But having said that, both eyes open will probably lead to less eyestrain with a scope.

Cross-eyed dominance is entertaining to sort out on the clay target range. Those folks either have to have a 'fuzzy' patch on the dominant eye, learn to shoot from the other shoulder (try hitting a clay target or a dove doing that, it's fun!), or just learn to ignore the bead on the shotgun gun entirely. There are shooting schools that teach such methods.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The only guns I've every shot with both eye's open are shotguns and concealed carry guns. I like to shoot my longer barreled handguns but always with one eye closed. I'm right handed and left eye dominate. No big think to shoot with one eye open. Never even tried shooting my fooling around handguns with both eye's open.

·
Premium Member
15,905 Posts
I shoot everything both eyes open and never see a shot gun bead...cant say for certain I have one on all shotguns. If a shotgun fits the bead I just confusing and two bead are three times more confusing.
Fit a shotgun by patterning board DON'T look at the gun, just the target.

Reactions: Sus Scrofa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually still shoot shotties off my right with no problem at all. I think I just shoot by instinct rather than aim. It's my rifles that are the problem. I tried an eyepatch tonight and it was WAY better. No headache and no problem looking down range!

·
Premium Member
8,588 Posts
Come on Sus, your not that well seasoned are you?;)

I suppose it depends on what she is doing with the scope. When I'm shooting at great distances I'm behind the glass for a long period of time. 20 seconds is what I use trying to read the bloody wind alone!:D

I didn't really think about it, but i don't think I have both eyes open looking through my scopes. If I do, it's the whole dominant eye thing, because I don't notice anything out of the other one. I can't say I purposely close or keep my left eye open, just focused on my target.
Used to do a 400yrd run down when sniper training, shoot four 2 second exposures at each point, then 50 yard dash to new position, bolt open reloading on the move ...repeat....dash....repeat....dash and on to the 50yrd point then 4 rounds standing unsupported, one on each 2 second exposure. All positions had a different feature, wall, post, large log, shooting pit. Was amazing how good the team got at it;):D

He who hesitates is very often lost.;):D

·
Premium Member
8,588 Posts
I have helped a fair number of people over the years and I always have to stop them 'hovering' over a shot at the bench. You start chasing that figure of eight. The 50yrd standing we were instructed to use our breathing...now pretty heavy ... and have the reticule moving in a straight line up and down through the bull. OK 2 seconds does not sound much but if your already moving the reticule then it takes but one pass to send the bullet on it's way.

Now I am talking hunting ..two legged as well as four and you do not have time to think to long on either.

Be positive.

Pleased you find blanking the 'out of play' eye helps ...but just think ...if a better bet walks out to your left, you will not see it ...and if hostile two legged, that could be fatal.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I actually still shoot shotties off my right with no problem at all. I think I just shoot by instinct rather than aim. It's my rifles that are the problem. I tried an eyepatch tonight and it was WAY better. No headache and no problem looking down range!
What's a shottie?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,904 Posts
That's what we call a shotgun in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Oh! I see a lot of words having to do with gun's and hunting that I have to ask about. Seem's that cool name's are better to use than right names even if there are people that haven't a clue what they mean! In my neck of the woods we call a shotgun a shotgun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If my eye relief is not correct so I have a true full view throw the scope I have the same problem. That for "me"causes tension and I fight to get settled. Causes a ton of stress. Close both eyes put the rifle to your shoulder then open both eyes. Eye relief correct you should have a full view no shadows. It worked for me you?? worth a try.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Another welcome to the shooters forum.
Just do what works best for you.
Shooting with iron sights and especially snap shooting with them my left eye automatically closes. The exception is with shotguns. With scopes both eyes remain open. When shooting varmints for long hours both eyes open is way less stressful.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts