Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there new to the forum so please bear with me... anyways I'm having some issues with sighting in a 742 woodsmaster in 30/06 that i have recently aquired no matter what i do i still cant get my shot group up I'm about 8 inches low at 25 yards I have tried almost everything from different scopes and scope mounts to different ammo I'm just out of ideas and starting to get very frustrated cause as we all know roundds ain't cheap so please try and help any suggestions would be great and thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Generally, the Up/Down arrows on the scope indicate the direction that you want the bullets to go, but not always. I would check that.

The 742 is an older rifle with iron sights. Because of the iron sights the comb of the stock is lower. Many times the scope is high to clear the sights, this can lead to aiming errors. Make sure that the scope is not touching the sights or barrel. Do not use the see-thru lens covers.

Check for looseness, wiggle the scope assembly and wiggle the barrel assembly.

Eliminate shooter error. Use a good rest and check for flinching.

It is possible that the bases or rings are incorrect.

Use some new factory ammo to eliminate faulty ammo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you should try shooting at 50 yds...A average rifle sighted in at 100 yds. would also be on at about 50 yds. and Low at 25 yds...

Terry

·
Registered
583 Posts
4-6 inches low at 25 yards sounds about right to be on at 100. Id try shooting a few rounds farther out coupled with the sugestions above. If you still can't get on target shim the bottom of the rear ring.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
What rings and bases are you using? Have you been able to affect the zero at 25 yards, at all?

About a quarter to half in inch low at 25 yards will get you dead on at 100. Stay at 25 till you figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you should try shooting at 50 yds...A average rifle sighted in at 100 yds. would also be on at about 50 yds. and Low at 25 yds...

Terry
i did try going out to 50 to see if that would help because i know being low at 25 is usual but I'm out of vertical adjustment in my scope and im still way low and going out to 50 didnt seem to help any I had also tried shimming the back scope ring with also no results maybe im doing something wrong here but i have never had this much trouble sighting in a rifle i have even bore sighted it a 25 and it still shot low so Idk what to do but thanks for the info

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally, the Up/Down arrows on the scope indicate the direction that you want the bullets to go, but not always. I would check that.

The 742 is an older rifle with iron sights. Because of the iron sights the comb of the stock is lower. Many times the scope is high to clear the sights, this can lead to aiming errors. Make sure that the scope is not touching the sights or barrel. Do not use the see-thru lens covers.

Check for looseness, wiggle the scope assembly and wiggle the barrel assembly.

Eliminate shooter error. Use a good rest and check for flinching.

It is possible that the bases or rings are incorrect.

Use some new factory ammo to eliminate faulty ammo.
thanks i will try those suggestions and get back to you but i only have the front sight on it and took the rear sight off so that the scope wouldnt touch it and there seems to be no wiggle in anything but I will check again

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
I think you have the wrong bases. There is no way that the scope should be out of adjustment at 25 yards.

Tell us the exact bases you have - model numbers, any markings. If they don't have any info then I would strongly suggest just going and buying a new base that matches your gun model.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I think you have the wrong bases. There is no way that the scope should be out of adjustment at 25 yards.

Tell us the exact bases you have - model numbers, any markings. If they don't have any info then I would strongly suggest just going and buying a new base that matches your gun model.
I agree, Mike. It does sound like his mounts are either incorrect OR turned around, where the rear base is placed on the front. If he is using Weaver bases he should use a one piece base. THEN there is the possibility one of the rings is of different height.

·
Registered
33 Posts
some scopes move cross hairs up while others move bullet impact. Could be you're going the wrong way. Simple, I know but it's something to look at.

Has this gun ever shot well? Is this your gun from new or did you get it used?

One thing I'm wondering is the condition of the muzzle. Look at the crown carefully. Is the powder "star" concentric? By that I mean is the powder burn on the muzzle crown even all the way around? It may be difficult to see but should be examined. If it's off, simple facing will resolve the issue...have a gunsmith do this.

Wrong mount, rings cocked off...maybe a burr on one of the rings. Maybe the mount isn't mounted properly.

As a gunsmith, well used to be one. I had countless customers come in and just have something assembled wrong. You issue could be very simple as the mount is backwards.

Just throwing ideas out there.

got any closeup pics? Maybe we can see something that stands out. For example...The scope mounts that have the windage adjustments, those go to the back. Or maybe a ring isn't fully seated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I finally got it sighted in I'm not sure exactly what i did but i put new rings on the scope and used my own handloads and it seemed to work out for me thanks for all the help everyone great advice was given by all

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
well I finally got it sighted in I'm not sure exactly what i did but i put new rings on the scope and used my own handloads and it seemed to work out for me thanks for all the help everyone great advice was given by all
Just curious, did you originally have some type of see-under rings installed? :confused: That might have made a huge difference at short (25 yd) range.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had a case this weekend that would cause the same issue. Went to Academy to get a set of rings, Leupold, and the rings weren't the same in height (not the first time with Leupold rings). I had a tall front ring with a short back ring...not a problem if the base plate is off the same amount.

What happened was the scope was angled where the scope body was pointing up. A quick trip back and I was able to replace the rings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts