Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first lever gun looking for some sight combination that will help old eyes can see far off but need reading glasses for up close.

I found this setup suggested on another thread. Seems as if this would provide a setup that gives a lot, but it would have to be done over time.

Marbles Tang first, then add the Scout Mount with Leupold QRW rings, then a Scout scope.

I have pistol scope will this work on the above rather than buy another scope..I think this is pricey and not sure if it is worth the cost... may depend on how the tang performs with my eyes...

Your thoughts?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,668 Posts
Look up Marshall's articles on the .444 - I think they are in the tech notes.

I did the same thing he did with my .35 Rem (all the centerfire Marlins are basically the same as far as peep sights and scope bases go). Basically, you put a scope on with a Weaver base, mounted in the usual fashion. But, you cut off about half an inch from the rear of the scope base. This leaves enough room to put a Williams receiver sight behind the base. With the scope off, you can see over the base just fine.

You will lose one of the four mounting screws for the scope base, but if they hold up with his heavy .444 loads, 3 screws ought to hold about anything.

I have not personally ever tried a tang sight, I would just advise to not shoot real heavy loads with one as recoil can put it back into your eye - not good!!!!! I suppose it depends on the exact 'eye relief' that you have on your particular setup.

Anyway, the Willams peep sight plus a Weaver base and conventional scope is a pretty cheap way to get both a peep sight and a scope on the same gun.

Check your pistol scope before you purchase the hardware for a 'scout' setup, a true pistol scope is going to have eye relief that's too long. You need the 'intermediate' eye relief which is about halfway between a regular scope and a pistol scope.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
SCSouth
You didnt say what rifle you had.
I agree with MikeG, be careful about putting a tang sight on a heavy kicking rifle. Even on a .30-30 the Lyman #2 tang sight sight will sometimes tap your glasses.
I prefer the Lyman reciever sight because it has a push button to remove the slide. This clears the sight plane for useing your forward mount scope. With the Angle Eject Winchesters you have no choice, only the Williams fits. The nice thing about a William reciever sight is the ease of installing target knobs, pretty handy for lever action silhouette shooting.
With the tang sight installed you will find it in the way while using your scope. It makes it harder to shoot groups from the bench and slower for snap shooting with the scope.
I have a Burris "Scout" mount on a 16" Trapper. Someone else has posted a picture of a nice installation on a .444 Winchester Timber carbine with a forward mounted scope on it.
We can fuss for days about front sights and "old" eyes!

·
Registered
360 Posts
SCSOUTH

I don't know what caliber lever gun you have, but on my 1894 Marlin 38/357 I use an Ashley ghost ring. The front post sight is a Williams red firesight. With my eyesight, which is like yours, all I do is place the red dot inside the blurred ghost ring. So far I like the set up. Some however do not. Personally, I did not want to put a scope on a lever action rifle.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MADISON

The rifle is a 1894 Marlin in 45LC. AT this point I think I am leaning toward the AO Ghost Ring, and then later as funds provide a Scout Mount and scope for other applications. Thanks for the advise on the tang and front sight.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
That's what I did. I am still tinkering or to put it better, learning to shoot the ghost ring but it seems OK. I will get the scout mount soon. May be a while until I pick up the scope I want. I have grown or aquired and expensive taste for glass.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
madison

Chief Rid ,,,, have you started to look at scopes? If so which ones. What about the rest of you out there?

·
Banned
57 Posts
I have a scout scope on my savage model 99. The one I have is a burris 2.75X on a burris mount. The scope has the german post reticle and is great to shoot quickly. I have not had the chance to look closely at other long eye relief scopes, but really like the quality of the burris.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The only levergun I own that has a scope mounted on it is a Sav 99. Otherwise they all are iron sighted. And this is the only one that I believe warrants a glass sight. If your eyes can't handle iron then you have little choice. But flat nosed bullets don't have much (effective) range anyway so a peep works better than anything else I've used. My opinion only...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts