Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious but is the AK-47 louder than the M4 carbine when you hear it down range or from a distance?

I know the 5.56x45 makes a loud sharp CRACK!!!! sound but does it sound as loud or carry as far as the distinctive sound of the AK-47?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I own both. I have never been downrange of either rifle while shooting them. Having never been in combat, I have no idea which has a louder sonic crack.

I was reading a document the other day regarding the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of various aspects of a possible replacement military cartridge. It suggested (probably from input by people who know) that larger caliber bullets, which must displace more air, have a substantially louder sonic crack, and that larger calibers were therefore able to provide more psychologically effective suppressing fire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own both. I have never been downrange of either rifle while shooting them. Having never been in combat, I have no idea which has a louder sonic crack.

I was reading a document the other day regarding the theoretical advantages and disadvantages of various aspects of a possible replacement military cartridge. It suggested (probably from input by people who know) that larger caliber bullets, which must displace more air, have a substantially louder sonic crack, and that larger calibers were therefore able to provide more psychologically effective suppressing fire.
Thats probably what a M240 would be good for, the 7.62x51 has twice as much powder than the 5.56 or 7.62x39 therefor louder BOOM.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I too own both but I make it a point never to be in front of the rifle when it goes off. Not good for a healthy and long life.
From the shooter's point of view it seems the 7.62 x 39 has a softer crack than the sharp crack of the 5.56. How that translates to downrange noise, not a clue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One problem is that it depends on which compensater your using. An M-4 with a Lavang comp will direct more sound down range thanone with a standard A2 comp will.

With a 16 inch barrel it sounds like the AK is louder than the M-4, but as stated before, the 5.56 x 45 round has a sharper crack to it than the 7.62 x 39. The M-4 has a barrel 14 inches long and it seems louder. I have never actually measured the sound, I shoot with some guys who have both, and while I don't sit down range and listen to them shoot at me, I do hear them fire from the side.

Regards,
Gene

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One problem is that it depends on which compensater your using. An M-4 with a Lavang comp will direct more sound down range thanone with a standard A2 comp will.

With a 16 inch barrel it sounds like the AK is louder than the M-4, but as stated before, the 5.56 x 45 round has a sharper crack to it than the 7.62 x 39. The M-4 has a barrel 14 inches long and it seems louder. I have never actually measured the sound, I shoot with some guys who have both, and while I don't sit down range and listen to them shoot at me, I do hear them fire from the side.

Regards,
Gene
I guess maybe the AK sounds flat compared to the harder sound of the M4?

·
Registered
316 Posts
From 300 yards the M4 has a louder/sharper CRACK than the AK-47.

I think the AK-74, on the other hand, sounds almost [ALMOST] identical to the M-4. FWIW....

YES I was downrange of all three. And NO - I don't want to talk about it....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I only own M4's. Don't know why I would ever need an AK.

BUT, I will tell you that the one pointed at you is the loudest.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts