Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm near sighted so I take off my glasses so I can see the sights on the gun clearly but when I do that I can't see the target very well. I have a scope on my T/C Contender 357 mag. and it works pretty good with my glasses off, so I'm thinking magnification will help me see the target better. I'll be shooting at about 30 to 50 yards. Does anyone have an opinion about Simmons Pro-hunter 4X32 pistol scope?I'll be putting it on my S&W 22a.
Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Bernie, welcome to ShootersForum!

I have not used that particular pistol scope, but I've used Leupold, Bushnell and T/C LER scopes on my Contenders. I'm sure others will have different opinions, but I feel Simmons has just about the worst clarity of any major line of rifle/pistol scopes. Even their top-end stuff has not impressed me, in the least. I am happy shooting inexpensive guns, scoped or open-sighted, but I don't like shooting any gun with a cheap scope on it.

I work in the computer industry, so I use this comparison: With a computer, you spend 100% of the time looking at a screen, so it makes no sense to spend $1,500 on the PC itself, and then buy a $50 monitor. Same thing applies with a firearm; even used or bargain rifles/handguns are pretty accurate and reliable, but without decent glass, you're constantly looking through a haze when you're using it. I'd rather shoot a $200 gun with a $500 scope than a $2,000 gun with a $75 scope, if that makes any sense. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks broom_jm for your info! My thinking up to this point was: shooting a jack rabbit at 30 to 50 yards with a 22lr didn't require an expensive scope. Maybe I better reconsider. Do you have a recommendation for a scope that will fit my S&W 22a and what I'm going to do with it?
Thanks, Bernie

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Bernie - Welcome to the board. Hope you will join us in discussions on the other forums here.

I have had just the opposite results using Simmons scopes. While I have more Leupolds, Burris', Nikons and such, there are several rifles and handguns equipped with Simmons products. The one Simmons pistol scope is a 2X on a Ruger MkII 6" bbl'd Gov't model and it works quite nicely. The clarity of the Simmons products will rival that of the more expensive scope. Only had one 2.8x10 ATEC model fail and the manufacturer replaced it with a brand new unit when sent in for repair at no cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your take kdub. If I were buying a scope for a 44 mag. (mucho recoil) it might be a different story, but with a 22lr (little recoil and I would think not very hard on a scope) I'm thinking the Simmons might be OK. I don't want a POC scope but I can't afford a $300 one. What I'm trying to accomplish is magnification so I can see the cross hairs and the target too.
Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree with kdub about Simmons....have two Prohunter variables on centerfire rifles and a Prosport variable on a 22 rifle. I've been well satisfied with their clarity in viewing the bullet holes in my 100 yard targets. There have been numerous times, when at the range, I've viewed thru the lens at a target of a fellow shooters rifle that had a big name/lot more costly scope. Then returned to my Simmons to compare it. Guess what? Yea, the other guys scope had better lens, as to be expected when scope cost 3 to 5 times as much as my Simmons. But, there was nothing about my Simmons glass that made me regret owning it. I've had no problems with my Simmons.

So, save some money buying a Simmons Prohunter and take advantage of Simmons present rebate program of 25% on selling price for additional savings.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'll agree some of the Simmons scopes are good. But, has anybody ever had a Simmons 8-point 3x-9x? I got one and its the biggest piece of crap I own. I got it when I sent an old Simmons scope in for repair that had came unsealed and would fog up. It was a great old 4x32. They sent me this POS instead. Its the hardest scope to sight in I've ever had. I thought about sending this one in but, they'll probably send me another just as bad. I don't mean to be really negative on Simmons, because I've had one or two Simmons that was good.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'll agree some of the Simmons scopes are good. But, has anybody ever had a Simmons 8-point 3x-9x? I got one and its the biggest piece of crap I own. I got it when I sent an old Simmons scope in for repair that had came unsealed and would fog up. It was a great old 4x32. They sent me this POS instead. Its the hardest scope to sight in I've ever had. I thought about sending this one in but, they'll probably send me another just as bad. I don't mean to be really negative on Simmons, because I've had one or two Simmons that was good.
So, you sent in a junk scope, which was replaced with a junk scope, and you don't want to return that one because you're afraid it will just be swapped for yet another junk scope? Yeah, call me once bitten, twice shy, but when it comes to the main interface between me and my rifles/pistols, I want something that is reliable, predictable and usable.

About the only good thing you'll ever hear about a Simmons scope, even the Aetec line, is that they're 'not bad for the price'. Well, I have some scopes like that and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Among those, the Simmons products have consistently been the worst. For my money, I'll pick up a Bushnell or even Tasco, before I'll go with a Simmons. On bright, sunny days, at fairly close ranges with well-lit targets, any scope will do, so long as it holds zero and can be adjusted well. When the conditions get ugly, so does a Simmons scope...at least in my experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your ideas broom_jm. But if I'm target shooting and the weather is bad, I'm at home by the fireplace, same with rabbit hunting (they're pretty plentiful in SE New Mexico). It's not like I have a deer permit or that I have to go hunting. This is a 22lr, not a 44 mag and all that I'm trying to accomplish is getting some magnification so I can see the sights and the target too (I'm near sighted and shoot with my glasses off so I can see the sights better). There is an issue about rabbit hunting, I'll be hunting early morning and late evening. I've seen an illuminated pistol scope be NcStar but I've heard they are not very good. Tried to find a Tasco pistol scope with magnification with no luck, and Bushnell scopes are out of my price range. I'd like to keep the cost around $100 if I can. What is your take on NcStar vs Simmons? Are they both a POC? Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've heard the NcStar are not bad. When I see a Simmons in a store I wish I had a crucifix to keep the evil away.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I don't have any experience with the NcStar line of scopes but I hope you find one that works well for you without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Thanks broom_jm but I'm not sure which scope you are talking about. The NcStar?
The Bausch and Lomb in the web link shown above is a good deal on a good scope, if ya ask me.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
When Simmons first came out in my parts (in the mid to late 80s) I bought one. They were made in Japan and were very bright and sturdy scopes. Well, I am not sure when that stopped being their standard, but the ones they produce now are anything but bright and sturdy in my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, broom_jm. I'm near sighted, don't know what to think about this post from another forum:
After trying to corner the market on Bausch & Lomb pistol scopes, my new eyeglass prescription for extreme nearsightedness will not let me focus these scopes. I need large ocular lenses and fast focus at the rear of the eyepiece.

So all my B&L handgun scopes are for sale.

What do you think? Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Sounds like you might be well-advised to make a trip to a large sporting goods store and look through whatever pistol scopes they have available, before you decide to buy one. If you can get a used B&L pistol scope for a decent price, I'm sure you'll be happy with the quality of the glass...presuming your prescription lets you see through it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts