Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all
I am in the military and live in military housing, so I cannot have a lot of powders sitting around. I have seen data from Hodgdon using H4227 in 38spl, 357 Mag, 44spl and Mag. Does anyone have any expirience with this powder or recommendations for another powder that can be used for full velocity magnum and mild spl loads? I want to use slow powders to reduce the possibility of a double load in the full power rounds.
Andy

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Andy,
I'm not familiar with any slow powder that works really well for target to full magnum loads. You usually don't have to worry about double charging the full power loads. It's that target loads that will really get you into trouble, with a fast powder (Bullseye,WW231,AA#2,etc). It is conceivable with these to load 2,3, or even 4 charges of powder in the case. A double charge of fast powder will suffice to blow up your gun, I don't know what 3 or 4 would do, but 2 is more than enough to cause a disaster in your hand. If you want to stick with one powder, you will have to avoid the slowest powders because they are not safe to load at reduced levels. I'll take a peak at a couple of manuals and see if I can make a reccomendation for you as to something that might cover all your bases. I always have my cartridges in a loading block after charging them, unless I'm using a progressive press, and compare them all under a bright light that is directly above the loading block. I use a flexible work lamp that uses a small halogen bulb, but I'm sure a regular desk lamp would work just fine. Are you wanting full steam magnum loads or something real close? I use a lot of WW231 for target loads. You can get a lot of rounds out of 1lb of powder. You might be best served by having a pound of fast powder and a can of H110. Shouldn't take up too much room.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
If you are concerned with the double charging, you could try some of the medium burners to increase load density a bit like Unique or Blue Dot an easier metering ball powder like HS5 or HS6 or one of the "Clays" or the AA5 or AA7. They can go down to the lighter loadings and also higher velocity loadings in their pressure range depending on bullet weights.

The 4227's are on the slow side and more suitable for the high velocity loadings.

Do try though to load in a way that will proclude any chance of double charging. One that you can become confident in and allows an easy check of powder levels at a glance before bullet seating. Charge all cases first and eyeball them ALL before seating a bullet is one suggestion.

Regards

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Andy,
contender is right on the mark with his suggetions. I've used all of the powders he mentioned at one time or another, with the exception of Clays. The ones that I still use are AA#5 and#7 to some degree. I was looking through the loading manuals and I think the verstility is hard to beat, but there are other powders out there that are very similar. It really depends on what you want to do. Very fast powders are nice for target loads because they are very economical. You can easily get over 1000 .38s,44s,or45s out of a pound of a powder like ww231. When you move to the slower numbers like WW296,H110, and AA#9, you will be using a lot of powder per shell and getting maximum performance as a result. The midrange powders may be a happy medium for you and will produce good results, albiet a little off from maximum performance or maximum economy. I've probably got 40lbs or so of powder in my reloading room. As far as revolvers go, I burn a lot of 296 and H110. For auto pistols and target rounds I burn a heap of WW231.

·
Registered
103 Posts
andy
I'll throw in with the AA#5 group here. It works fer all my cast shootin'. Handgun or rifle it gives some of the lowest velocity spreads I've ever seen and good to great accuracy.
:)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've kind of settled on HS6 as a "do-all" powder. I use it from 9MM to .45 Colt. It doesn't shine in every application, but it performs well over a wide variety of them. The most versatile I've found.
DC

·
Registered
150 Posts
DMC said:
I've kind of settled on HS6 as a "do-all" powder. I use it from 9MM to .45 Colt. It doesn't shine in every application, but it performs well over a wide variety of them. The most versatile I've found.
DC
I have used a number of different powders over the years including Unique, HS-6, Red Dot, W-231, HP-38, Accurate No. 2, No.5, No. 7, Clays, Universal Clays, Tite Group and most ot the slow burners, too. I had settled on Unique as a versatile "load anything" powder for 9mm through .44 Mag, but when I tried Universal Clays, I was impressed. Seems to meter better and shoot cleaner than Unique and is equally versatile. If I could have on hand but a single powder for my handguns, (which now are just .357 Mag and 9mm) it would be Universal Clays. Not that I don't enjoy Tite Group for target level loads or W-296 or H-110 for magnums, but Universal Clays provides reasonable performance even in the magnums.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Gents,

Agree with 2nd. Universal has been my old standard for everything that I load. Ihave used it in 38, 357, 44 special, 44 magnum, and 45 ACP.

Have not tried it in my 10, or 45 LC yet, but I would not hesitate to do so.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
Unique

I have been using Unique for .38 Special and .357 Magnun loads for many years. It can be used for light loads or full power options.

The best way to avoid the possibility of double-charging cases with powder is to dump the powder in the case and then immediately seat the bullet. I never leave charged cases sitting in a loading block without bullets inserted. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
179 Posts
universal powder fr diffrent charges... ???

I'd go for the vihtavuori N340.
Moderately slow and bulky enough to be
a: economical
b: accurate

Although I wouldn't load a 148 gr HBLWC in .38spl
with this one, would then use either VV N-310/N320
or Accurate #2i.

How's the availability of VV powders there???

Regards.
Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts