Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1953 single six and my brother has a 1986 single six he has the .22 magnum cylinder i do not will his cylinder fit in my gun?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No, the cylinders are fitted to specific frame for timing, the last three numbers of the serial number will be etched on the front end of the cylinder for the revolver they were fitted to.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You can send it in to Ruger and have them do it, and it's just as cheap or cheaper than getting one and having a smith fit it, I looked into having a standard 22LR cylinder fit in my magnum revolver.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You'll have to call them and ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DO NOT send your 1953 Single Six to Ruger. They will find, fit, and install a magnum cylinder for you. Unfortunately they will also, whether you want it or not, install the transfer bar safety system in your Single Six. They WILL NOT return the original parts to your revolver, and in the process you will lose much of the collector value of your gorgeous collectible flat loading gate Single Six.
In the past, when they first offered to install the transfer bar system free of charge, they would send you back the original non-transfer bar parts. They could then be reinstalled, maintaining the collector value of your original early model Single Six. Now you will not have the original parts returned to you, and you ill lose most if not all of the collector value of your piece of Ruger history. You could probably buy an entire used convertible gun with the amount of money you will lose in collector value. This depends upon the condition your '53 is currently in. I just plain would not do it since Ruger changed their returned parts plicy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your 1953 SS is likely bored to 22 LR specs --- The SSs made for Mags (beginning in about 1962-63) are bored to a slightly larger size. This doesn't cause a problem for 22 LRs as the soft bullet upsets and takes the rifling, but it wouldn't work for you.

PS If your SS was a later model and bored for the Mag cartridge, you WOULD be able to buy a Mag cylinder of the appropriate length (or slightly longer) and fit and use it in you SS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts