Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reprinted in 2016 and available at Amazon $19.00 hardcover and $13.00 softcover , if you are a handgun reloader & bullet caster the chapters on bullet casting , bullet hardness , bullet sizing & lubricating , cases , primers and priming , pressure , primer flattening & case expansion and the last chapter on special loads are worth the cost of the book alone . Lots of photo's and classic Elmer Keith stories and sayings .
The actual loading data is outdated but that isn't where the value and wisdom of this book lies.
Elmer Keith knew a lot about what worked and what didn't work when it came to hunting game and shooting sixguns . A lot of wisdom for those who didn't grow up reading his works .
And for under $20.00...that's a bargin in my book .
Gary

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
This is a Bargain on this book.
There good information on the High Pressure loading of the .32-20WCF.. a good starting point for the thinking .327 Federal handloader.
Someone needs to do a book of Ken Waters and Skeeter Skeltons articles similar to the 2 volume Gun Notes books of EK' column.

EK's discussion of bullet fit in handguns is good basic ground work. Reading EK, Ray Thompson and Veral Smith with give you a lot to think about. Different paths to the same destination.

·
Super Moderator
13,898 Posts
Interesting, too, that his thinking about the under-powered .41 rimfire that would ultimately lead to the .41 Magnum is apparent in 1936, so close on the heels of the .357 Magnum's inception.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
33 Posts
At my start in handgun shooting,;) and still, Elmers Books and many contributions to the topic, has served me well. That book:) and many of his other books to do with hunting and shooting also grace the shelves in my Den. After writing him a few letters to answer my new comer questions, I made arrangements to go visit him.:D The high light of my years of shooting was to visit him at his home in Salmon Idaho in the early 70's. Spent a good half day chatting and a few years later, I met him again at a gun show in Kalispell Montana. He was the guest of honour at a dinner that evening and I believe this was shortly after he had been the recipient of the first Handgunner Of The Year award.

·
Banned
16 Posts
A true genius! I have all of his books including a few signed 1st editions. I’ve been reading and re-reading Elmer’s books for decades.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
At my start in handgun shooting,;) and still, Elmers Books and many contributions to the topic, has served me well. That book:) and many of his other books to do with hunting and shooting also grace the shelves in my Den. After writing him a few letters to answer my new comer questions, I made arrangements to go visit him.:D The high light of my years of shooting was to visit him at his home in Salmon Idaho in the early 70's. Spent a good half day chatting and a few years later, I met him again at a gun show in Kalispell Montana. He was the guest of honour at a dinner that evening and I believe this was shortly after he had been the recipient of the first Handgunner Of The Year award.
You have many of us quite jealous. From all that I've read, he seemed to be a rather personalable fella.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
33 Posts
You have many of us quite jealous. From all that I've read, he seemed to be a rather personalable fella.
Forgot to mention, as I was getting ready to head home, I asked him to pose aiming his 4" S&W, beside my truck and camper and I took a photo of that moment. Actually, on another hunting/shooting site Canadian Gunnutz, ;) I use that photo as my avatar.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
On main street in Salmon is the Owl Club. It has been said its the only place in the Northwest where cowboys, Indians, miners, loggers, hippies and strangers can drink together without fighting. (too much)
The week after Elmer died, the Owl club was full of people telling Elmer stories. Some were packers telling tall double diamond tales of hunting the Selway when snow was so deep nothing but Elmer's hat was showing. One guy pumped gas at the filling station and grew up with Elmer and told of making their first money breaking colts. There should have been recordings made.
Elmer Keith was a Western Character just like Sylvan Hart just down the river from him. That part of the country will always be proud of the guy that couldn't write a post card becoming 'editor' of anything and just as proud of the hermit that stood down Congress with his own gun tower and homemade rifles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a number of his books, or in a few instances 2nd printings of them, that I took with me on my visit with him in Salmon Idaho, which he signed for me. In past I recall a comment made by a gentleman that apparently knew him quite well. He supposedly commented, there should be a book published on little known stories concerning Elmer that haven't yet been published. One apparently delt with him having taken a prototype of the S&W 29 to a friend/guide he knew in Africa, then getting an opinion/evaluation of the handgun on his next trip there. The second, while at a meeting/convention in New York, had to do with an 'occurance' at a crowded cafe.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,665 Posts
Nowhere in any of his books does he mention Charlie O'Neill or Don Hopkins, without whom he wouldn't be "famous". Anybody ever see OKH firearms mentioned?

RJ

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Gunsmiths write their own books and don't depend on their clients to make them well known. Jerry Haskins worked for Elmer on several projects and has never been mentioned, either. Bob Thompson was the money guy in that deal.
I don't remember Roy Weatherby giving any credit to Tom Shellhammer, either. Some writers give a lot of credit to their guns and those makers become very well known, further behind and over-worked. Everything is a trade off but artisan quality carries weight when the name is known.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nowhere in any of his books does he mention Charlie O'Neill or Don Hopkins, without whom he wouldn't be "famous". Anybody ever see OKH firearms mentioned?

RJ
Wouldn't be famous?? Have to disagree. There's a LOT more to Keith and his 'contributions' to the world of hunting and firearms than the development work he was involved in with O'Neil and Hopkins.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Wouldn't be famous?? Have to disagree. There's a LOT more to Keith and his 'contributions' to the world of hunting and firearms than the development work he was involved in with O'Neil and Hopkins.
@recoil junky just hates Elmer for his own, personal reasons. Arguing or discussion is like changing the mind of a 1st grader. Beware.

I warned you...

Reactions: Im2Tall2Play2!

·
Registered
33 Posts
@recoil junky just hates Elmer for his own, personal reasons. Arguing or discussion is like changing the mind of a 1st grader. Beware.

I warned you...
Well that's too bad. My interest in Keith and the benefit of his experience started in the late 60's. In addition to my existing interest in hunting, shooting and some reloading of ammo for hunting, an additional growing interest in handguns was coming into play. After writing him a number of times to clarify points with my new 'interest' and always receiving clear speedy answers, I inquired about the possibility of visiting him at his home in Salmon Idaho. That day meeting with him I consider the high point of my hunting and shooting interest and experience.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,363 Posts

I warned you...
Quite the opposite, if you want to discuss him with RJ, he's perfectly willing to; as is plainly evident in the multitude of threads concerning him. Aren't differing views and rationale for things is the entire point of a discussion; regardless of a change someone's opinion on a given topic.;)

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,665 Posts
@The 'Hummer'

I knew the private side of Elmer, the side that left Charlie O'Neill to fend off creditors after Don Hopkins passed, where Charlie had to sell the majority of his ranch in Darby while Elmer shined on the other side of the divide in Salmon. Rose Mary O'Neill ( Charlie's daughter) was my mother's close friend and was often in our home in Corvallis.

@Tnhunter

Did you ever meet Elmer? Ever see him caught in a story in his own home? You see, my Dad and Charlie were "fence neighbors" up the Bitterroot. Charlie was Elmer's gunsmith, the one that put Elmer's "broken" S&W 21's back together, the best parts anyway.

Here's one of Elmer's that he thought was too ugly so Charlie was going to finished it and give it to my Dad, extended grip, ventilated rib, adjustable sights, stripped and blued, woulda been real pretty. Sadly Charlie suddenly passed away before it was finished.

RJ

Reactions: Pudfark and Darkker

·
Registered
33 Posts
Roughly, what year did Elmer 'toss O'Neill under the bus'? And, what was the economic situation of the world at that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts