Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have have had an SKB O/U model 505 12 ga shotgun for many years - love it. Just started having a problem:
When I select the top barrel first, the gun opens by itself after the first shot. If I select the bottom barrel first, there are no problems. SKB has been no help - told me to go to a gunsmith. Worked fine until the last time I cleaned it. (Did not access internals in cleaning.)
Any one seen this - ideas/fixes?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Take it to a gunsmith! Even if someone could explain what was wrong you will need a smith to fix it. Sounds to me that it is just wore out & needs a repair/rebuild of the locking mechanism. Regardless, STOP shooting it before you get hurt!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,847 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here.

Not sure what is going on with your shotgun, but agree that it should be taken to a competent gunsmith for inspection and options for corrective action. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Worked fine until the last time I cleaned it.
Probably associated with the cleaning, especially if aerosols were used, or liquid cleaners were liberally applied. Debris on the inside may have moved and blocked parts from moving properly, or the aerosol dried out the oils that were inside, again preventing the parts from moving properly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Take the stock off. Douse the mechanism with gun scrubber/brake cleaner etc.. Then blow out with air hose. Lightly relube action. You could have debris or a single pellet causing a bind somewhere. Do this before taking it to a gunsmith. Chances are you forced something into the action during your last cleaning session. Use a lubed screwdriver to go through the pad to avoid damage when removing it. Then get your extension and whatever socket fits the bolt down in the stock to remove the bolt. Stock should slide right off.
Tell us if this works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts