Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping to upgrade my skeet gun and am fine with spending the money for the right features, but this will ideally be the last over-under I buy so I want to do it right. Therefore, I've got a few questions for the experts:

1.) IC or Skeet chokes are a given, what's the maximum barrel length? Common sense says no longer than a 28", but does the shorter barrel really give that much of an edge on the skeet field?

2.) Is an adjustable stock/comb that important for a skeet gun?

3.) I've always believed that it's the shooter and not the gun that makes the difference, but is there a particular feature that I can't go without if I want to shoot more consistently and accurately?

·
Registered
185 Posts
make sure the gun fits...many stocks now can be adjusted for cast and drop. This is more important if you are shooting low gun like original sporting clays but you need to be comfortable from the start. I personally like a ported gun but they are loud. The 28" barrel is perfect in a stack barrel for skeet. The right amount of balance and swing.

Check out the new Browning 725 and Beretta 687.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,333 Posts
Yup. If it doesn't fit, you'll have a heck of a time hitting anything. I'd start your search by putting as many guns to your shoulder as you can. Come back with a list that feels right, and you'll get some better answers.

Unless you have one in mind that has a fully adjustable stock, or your plan on restocking anyway, you are going to have to figure out what fits you first.....

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree, make 'fit' your #1 criteria. When checking out the possibilities, close your eyes and shoulder the gun, then open your eyes and look at your sight picture...is it good? If not, move on. Wear similar clothes that you might be wearing when shooting when checking out the guns.

'I've always believed that it's the shooter and not the gun that makes the difference...'

I don't agree to a certain extent; the gun has to fit you, first. Your ability is a factor, certainly, but if you are off 5 degrees on your hold/fit, you will be missing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts