Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Skinner barrel peep on my '92 Rossi. I've been fiddling around with front posts, and had one on that was a bit low, so gun shooting high. I cranked the peep down, and stripped the threads on the post. Contacted Skinner to order a replacement. Tim said he'd send me one no charge. This is my error and he sends me one for free, and pays shipping. WOW. Thanks. Hope to shoot tomorrow. I took the tang sight off. Like the feel better without.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've been dealing with Dr.Tim a long time - he's good people, for sure.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
IMO, barrel peeps are a recent creation, made to cater to the market/folks that either:

want an "EZ" solution
don't know how to properly use a peep
own a rifle unprepped for a receiver peep
want a 'no gunsmithing" solution for a non-prepped rifle

I personally have no use for a barrel peep, for exactly the reason given - it's located too far from the shooter's eye for fast/effective use, the reasoning behind the design of a peep sight.

The peep sight should be looked through, not "at", without actually seeing it, and simply placing the front sight "on target" beit game or bullseye.

The smaller the aperture, , the slower the use - but the better the accuracy.
The larger the aperture, the faster the use - but there's a slight loss of accuracy, many relinquish in the interest of speed.

I usually completely unscrew/remove the apertures from my peep sights after zeroing, and hunt via sighting through the resulting "ghost ring".

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it OK so far. Bought the tang peep and didn't care for it. Have not used peeps before. I'm nor sure what I'm going to use this gun for other than burning powder and throwing lead. Getting it to group at 100 yards is a challenge. Oh, I guess 14" is a group. I have not taken it in the field. Not sure how fast the acquisition on targets will be. I like it better than the factory sights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts