Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a Skinner peep sight on their Winchester or Browning 1886? I'm thinking of getting one for my Browning.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I did and took it off. It works "OK" , but it's not very adjustable. If you get it set for one distance it would work well for hunting though. I just didn't like the lack of adjustment. I had it CC at Turnbull along with the rest of the gun. Being steel it was easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
From the picture NSB posted it appears that the one for that rifle is the same model as Skinner makes for the Model 1894. I have one on my 1894 Winchester and it works well. It is not as adjustable as the one he makes for the Marlin 336 and 1895, but it has not caused me any problems. I have several lever actions. All wear either Skinner or XS Ghost Ring aperture sights.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just put one on my browning 1886, mine mounts to the bolt not the reciever. As for adjustment it’s fine adjusting elevation but I had to drift the front sight to get the gun to zero. I must have missed something, their is a set screw for windage I loosened but I could not get the sight to move. Other than that I like it a lot and at 100 yards puts them where I want them to go.the second thing I did was to rent a throat reamer, been wanting to do thst for a long time now. Now it’ll chamber anything I put into it including the 400 grain Speer, 350 Hornady and several others I have with wide orgive bullets.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No it hasnt and I’ve been calling once a week on it. I even called their distributer Davidson , they said last week they don’t know when they will get a shipment . Now if I didn’t want one they’d be everywhere.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I’m wondering about their production of these rifles, I mean do they only make a batch now and then and quit for a few months ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I found a nice Lyman 66MA receiver sight on Ebay a while back. As I remember there was a little filing I had to do but it fits the 1886 ELW receiver nicely. The width of the sight corresponds with the 1886's receiver width more accurately than Lyman 66's made for 94's

Edit: Thinking back, I remember now that the filing was at the top of the sight base where it fits over the shoulder of the receiver. A little judicious filing and it fit niclely with screw holes aligning the way they should.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I still have never owned one and have only shot one a handful of times.....3 to be exact. I will buy one before they are banned, if it comes to that.

Congrats on the purchase and keep an eye on that evil weapon.🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Just put one on my browning 1886, mine mounts to the bolt not the reciever. As for adjustment it’s fine adjusting elevation but I had to drift the front sight to get the gun to zero. I must have missed something, their is a set screw for windage I loosened but I could not get the sight to move. Other than that I like it a lot and at 100 yards puts them where I want them to go.the second thing I did was to rent a throat reamer, been wanting to do thst for a long time now. Now it’ll chamber anything I put into it including the 400 grain Speer, 350 Hornady and several others I have with wide orgive bullets.
:confused: I've had and reloaded ammo with a dozen different bullets for my 86's now for 25+ years and have yet to find one that wouldn't chamber due to bullet shape. Both are from the original runs done in 1986.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had trouble with Berry's plated bullet's chambering fully without using force.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They designed this model to ride a little over the bolts for clearance . I mounted mine on the bolt, they have another one that mounts on top of the reciever .

·
Registered
289 Posts
I haven’t tried berry’s bullets with my 86, but the orgive might be to fat for the no throat in the chamber. That’s the second thing I did, reamed the chamber out and now it’ll chamber almost everything. Prior to this I couldn’t chamber the Speer 400 jsp or Hornady 350.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I haven’t tried berry’s bullets with my 86, but the orgive might be to fat for the no throat in the chamber. That’s the second thing I did, reamed the chamber out and now it’ll chamber almost everything. Prior to this I couldn’t chamber the Speer 400 jsp or Hornady 350.
Never used Berry's. Have loaded some Speer 400's for my Brother-in-law and they chambered in my 86. Did you seat them deep or out ? I cast most of my bullets, 325, 410, 510 RCBS FN, and 500-540 gr BPS from RCBS and Lyman, Done Lyman's 500 RN too. Started off with Lee's 400 FN. All these chambered in my 86's

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I had to have my throat reamed/lengthened in order to chamber the Hornady 350's and the Rem 405's, and a few others. It chambered everything after that and shoots very, very good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts