Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Inactive account
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Tikka 3 Lite in 06 did the honors on this one. I had a Nosler BT 168 gr. spitzer #30168 going about 2500 fps at the muzzel. He was angling away at about 100 yds, eating corn. The bullet exploded as it entered near the back of the rib cage and exited in pieces on the off shoulder. He ran maybe 50 yds but ended up about 30 yds from the corn pile. We had just drops of blood for the entire trail. Most of the bleeding was internal. It took out guts, diaphram, liver, lungs and heart. hocks were not black. Still a bit early I guess or he was just not of breeding age yet. In fact I am sure this would be his 1st rodeo this year and he will miss it. That's kinda sad. I won't think about that at all when we are eating those loins. I was disappointed with the Noslers performance but not the results. I will stay with the 165 gr. Sierra's the rest of the season. I usually don't take a boiler room shot when they are standing on a corn pile and I have lots of time but I was not feeling real steady Friday evening and decided a behind the ear shot was pushing it. I was excited and I would have not made the shot, I am just about sure. That bullet would have done a fine job in the head or neck, I suspect.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
What's hanging from the pole is the most important thing, Chief.

Can't even boil them horns and make them tasty! A young buck or dry doe are smacking good, IMHO.

Strange the bullet disintegrated at that distance and velocity - should have hung together better than that. The Hornady SST's in that caliber and weight have always been a great performer for me. Haven't shot the Nosler BT's in a long time, now.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
Looks like you're putting a dent in the freezer space Chief!

OK, can you explain the 'hocks were not black' statement? I have not heard of this before.

·
Inactive account
315 Posts
I got the "hocks" comment....

My question is (as would Nosler's be) = "At what point in the death of the animal did the bullet fail?"

BTW - 150gr SST @2500fps from the .308 VTR failed to penetrate a 2.5 yr-old buck's face at 20 feet last Friday.

BUT that buck is in the fridge! Woo-Hoo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
New guy here from Tampa......hunt in Hancock County Georgia....going to the hunt club Wednesday for about 10 days...rut should be peakin.....hope to wear out the skinning pole next week...Im out of sausage and the last of the back straps will be consumed at the camp...gotta put some deer in the cooler!!

·
Inactive account
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are correct CD. In no way did the Nosler fail. I just want a bullet that holds together better than this one does. I am sure the Nosler performed just as it was intended.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,352 Posts
Hey Chief, those fragile bullets making the field dressing job easier. Just cut a hole in one end and pour everything out the other!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Cheif,

Sounds like a great vacation and you might need another freezer. I hope to get a bit of hunting this year when I'm home for Christmas.

CD

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Come back safe, CD.

·
Inactive account
315 Posts
New guy here from Tampa......hunt in Hancock County Georgia....going to the hunt club Wednesday for about 10 days...rut should be peakin.....hope to wear out the skinning pole next week...Im out of sausage and the last of the back straps will be consumed at the camp...gotta put some deer in the cooler!!
My buck came off of Oconee WMA in Hancock County. Plenty of big deer there. Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.