Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying an SKS (or 2). I see that most of them appear to have an internal box magazine. Is this fed with strips? Or by hand? Can you convert them to use AK magazines or is that only certain models that accept hi-cap AK mags?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
123 Posts
you can feed by hand or stripper clips. As far as i know, AK mags won't work without some modding. you can buy detachable sks mags just be sure you get the right ones. Do you know if they're chinese, yugos, russian, etc?

I had a yugo a while back that I really hate I got rid of. It was one of the few SKS's i'd ever seen that would shoot under 2" at 100 with almost anything you fed it.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
169 Posts
Regarding the SKS aftermarket mags. There are metal and also plastic magazines in 20, 30 and 40 round capacity. Most are junk and have feed problems. Tapco makes 20 round plastic mags that work well. They come in Black, Olive Drab, and Desert Tan. You can find them at a local gun show or online for under $25.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Just make sure you can legally convert the gun to hold a Hi-Cap magazine. In New Yorkistan where I live, it's a jail cell in the making if you do that.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There are at least a couple of different conversions on the market allowing use of hi-cap magazines, but I have yet to see an SKS so converted that was reliable. Stick with the standard mag -- it works every time.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
You can turn an SKS into a good sporting rifle with some modification. Try to find one with a Chrome bore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just make sure you can legally convert the gun to hold a Hi-Cap magazine. In New Yorkistan where I live, it's a jail cell in the making if you do that.
Apparently there are several laws that effect many of us regarding modification of the SKS. I never knew about these laws until about two days ago when a friend of mine told me about how it could be illegal to remove the bayonet and do other modifications on certain rifles that are covered by the curio and relic laws. Heres a link to a post on a sks board that kinda explains some of the rules. Apparently you have to modify 10 different things on the rifle not to violate the curio and relic law. I don't really understand it all but it looks pretty silly to me but hey no one would ever make a silly law concerning guns now would they??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=2698.0

I don't know if this has been nullified by the over turning of the ban but some folks seem to still think it applies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.

Should I be looking for Russian, Chinese, or Yugo? I have seen some "unissued" Yugos that look very nice.

I have heard the Russians are the best and the Chinese are the biggest crap shoot, with the Yugos being in the middle.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Frankly, I've never encountered a bad SKS, no matter where they were made. The most accurate two I have had were Chinese -- but then, out of maybe a dozen that have been through my hands in the past 30 years, six have been Chinese. The little Norinco Paratroooper I have right now is phenomenally accurate.

If I have several to choose from, and all are mechanically and cosmetically comparable, I go with whichever is cheapest.

Now, if you are a collector you might as well realize up-front that you're going to have to get all of them...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Here's a photo of my sporterized SKS: I removed the bayonet & cleaning rod & lugs, replaced the issue stock with a sporterstyle stock of proper length-of-pull, replaced the magazine with a "Fixed" 5-shot magazine, and replaced the rear sight with a Williams's peep sight. This improved the accuracy of my SKS.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have really never run into a bad SKS either, the Yugos are the only ones without chrome bores, if you don't shoot corosive ammo then its a non issue. The Yugo is one of my favorites. I have never run into any of the detachable magazines that I would consider 100% reliable.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Norinco made some SKS's that used the AK magazines even the huge 75 round drum magazines would work. They usually command premium prices because of this ability to accept AK mags. Like others have indicated they are accurate but cosmetic appearance really sucks.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I've owned two Chinese SKS, 1st one was one of the first boat loads during the mid 80s, 2nd a well used military model. Still have the first one and it shoots great. Second one was donated as a retirement gift to a Warrent Officer that I worked with. Have handled and shot a bunch of military Yugo/Russians in Iraq over the years and never any problems with those. Never tried modifing them as I'm a military collector. Guns work flawlessly with the standard 10 rd mag and strippers. With the standard mag they are easy to carry in the field compared to that large mag hanging out.

CD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a photo of my sporterized SKS: I removed the bayonet & cleaning rod & lugs, replaced the issue stock with a sporterstyle stock of proper length-of-pull, replaced the magazine with a "Fixed" 5-shot magazine, and replaced the rear sight with a Williams's peep sight. This improved the accuracy of my SKS.

Davers,

This is EXACTLY what I have in mind for my project. Nicely done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a Russian SKS back in about '93, and paid all of $139 for it, in the box. The Chinese ones back then were going for something like $75. If I had had any idea what the prices were going to do, I would have bought a couple of crates full and now I would be selling the extras!

My Russian one has been nothing but ultra reliable and surprisingly accurate. It is still stock with the 10 round mag that I still load with stripper clips.

I bought a Russian made Makarov pistol at the same time, for $119 in the box. It has also been reliable and accurate beyond my expectations.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Davers,

This is EXACTLY what I have in mind for my project. Nicely done.
Thank you. I modified my Norinco SKS back in 1994. The wood stock is made by Fajen and is laminated. I was lucky as all the SKS parts had the matching serial numbers, and it has a chrome bore. I had a black synthetic stock on it before I got the Fajen stock, but I didn't care for the Plastic Stock as it felt cheap & was lose fitting. The Laminated is nice & tight!:)

·
Banned
763 Posts
Love my Chinese SKS. I bought it in the early 90's for around $79. I bought a YUGO a couple years ago and it's nose heavy as all heck. No where near as much fun to shoot as the Chinese one.

I shoot mostly cast bullets from mine. Lee 2R155 cast bullets and either 15 grains of 2400 or 22 grains of H4198 for propellent.

Like others have said, it can shoot as good/better than I can with open sights. Makes a heck of a fine plinker @ $.10/shot for the cast bullet reloads.

EDIT to add: I've also found the Tapco 20 round mags are the only ones that work worth a durn. I have 4 of them and they all work great in my Norinco. The Yugo is bone stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love my Chinese SKS. I bought it in the early 90's for around $79. I bought a YUGO a couple years ago and it's nose heavy as all heck. No where near as much fun to shoot as the Chinese one.

I shoot mostly cast bullets from mine. Lee 2R155 cast bullets and either 15 grains of 2400 or 22 grains of H4198 for propellent.

Like others have said, it can shoot as good/better than I can with open sights. Makes a heck of a fine plinker @ $.10/shot for the cast bullet reloads.

I ended up getting a Yugo, but not because I was avoiding the Norincos, it just worked out that way.
I haven't even fired it yet, and I've already been eyeing a 2nd one... A Norinco Paratrooper model. :D

thanks for the reloading info!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts