Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a carry permit in the State of Virginia, and went to Cape May, NJ last week as a volunteer Hawk bander. I was in line for the Lewes Deleware to Cape May ferry, and suddenly realized that there are NO circumstances where I could have a firearm anywhere in my car in NJ.

The best I could do was to disassemble my 9mm CZ 75 and store the parts in different compartments in my vehicle.

On the last day of the banding, a rabid skunk took up lodging in the blind, and refused to leave. The head bander begged me to put the gun together and dispatch it, but I was too imtimidated by the law and horror stories I've heard about NJ and gun possession. Even 1 shot was out of the question.

The skunk finally charged one of the kids we had there observing, so I made a kevlar noose and attached it to a 12 foot aluminum pole. It took 15 minutes to strangle this poor critter, and it was a low point in the trip.

My new policy is no more trips to or through NJ - its not worth it...

·
Registered
238 Posts
loader - You did the right thing! Those NJ troopers (never call them officers) would have had a field day with you! Sorry about the skunk episode but shooting it probably would have caused you more pain than the skunk! I'm with you, I avoid New Jersey at all costs, my apologies to the good people who live there and post here. CEJ..

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Living in the "garden state", I can tell you that you did the right thing!!! We in Jersey have a hard enough time getting permits to OWN pistols, forget about carrying!:mad:

Short of LE or a High risk job (and that's a maybe) your not carrying in Jersey. Too bad for law- abiding gun owners, but that's another subject all together. You should have gotten the Troopers to disatch the skunk :eek: :D sort of shooting first, before the "armed skunk could:D

Chris~

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This alienation between citizens and troopers is a bad thing. In VA, we do show and tell with troopers all the time. They know I have the permit when they call in my tag, and sometimes ask what I carry. We discuss the merits of the 40 and 357 SIG, vs hot 9s and the like. A PA trooper actually told me to velcro my carry gun to the back of the rear fold down seat in my Camry, and to leave it unlocked. With practice, this is as quick as any glove box yet legal on PA where loaded arms cannot be in the driver's compartment. A VA trooper said the best place in my car is in the map compartment on the driver's door...you can grab it when forced out of the vehicle and get get to it while still outside of the vehicle. Good advice, and well taken.

I respect them, and put my hands up on the wheel when I get stopped. This is usually NOT for speeding, as we have a huge crack down on alcohol and they stop anyone and everyone anytime to check for it. I approve of and support this. It saves more lives than any gun law ever envisioned.

The County police use our Range on a regular basis at no cost. They freely admit that when something very bad goes down, they are of little use protecting anyone for 5 to 20 minutes. They make certain that those with carry permits know the law and don't get stuck with an assault charge by pointing a loaded weapon in an effort to inappropriately intimidate. But they also know we are on our own and it is unethical to ask us to have no defense at all.

We really are all in this together...

·
Banned
24 Posts
You did the right thing.

In NJ laws are in place to define the guilty party, not protect the victum.

In fact, in this state the only reason a trooper would draw a gun is to protect himself. Anything else would place him in the criminal category, They are here to bag and tag, only, and hand out tickets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts