Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the probable cause of my slam fire problem? The gun is an old .32 acp Spanish browning knockoff auto. It shoots great and does not jam unless dirty. Every 100 rounds or so it will slam fire. On the trigger pull, when it does this it is noticably harder. Kind of says to me that something is not set back right after the last firing but I don't see how that could effect the cycle after it initiates. This gun is old and well used. Parts are worn and scored from years of use.

Can I get browning parts and try them in this gun? Are the ones made in other countries that close to the browning specs?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Chief,

It is pretty simple, really, just think through the process.

What makes a cartridge go bang.... it is hit by the firing pin. Unless it has a high primer, unlikely with factory ammo.

So, when the slide comes forward, there are only two possibilities:

Firing pin in 'stuck' forward (didn't retract properly after previous shot),

or, firing pin inertia causes it to jump forward as the slide stops (weak firing pin spring).

A slamfire from one of the causes often recoils less, because the the firing pin doesn't hit the cartridge with same force that it would had the gun been fired normally, and the powder in the cartridge doesn't ignite with it's usual force. You may even be able to see less of a dent on the primer.

There is the third possibility of the hammer or striker slipping off the sear when the slide goes forward, as if it was a full auto gun. But this seems unlikely, should that be happening you'd probably squirt the entire mag before you could release the trigger. On the other hand... you mention the trigger not working the same after a slam-fire. So have someone check the sear engagement.

So, if you can't take the gun down so that you can get the firing pin completely out of the gun and cleaned off, best take it to a gunsmith who can. I also have one of those old Spanish copies of a Browning 32, mine doesn't do that, and I haven't had time to strip it completely down. I'd bet that parts for the Browning would fit, or at least make a good starting point.

I'm not sure what to think about the trigger being harder to pull after this happens, don't know enough about the linkage of the gun to suggest whether this is cause or effect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I did not explain that trigger pull thing right. It is hard to pull before the slam fire, not after. I first noticed this when my Mom was shooting it one day and she could not pull the trigger. I took the gun from her and that is when I noticed it before the slam fire. I did not make this connection until my last outing and I think I will be able to tell it before it does it again.

Since the cleaning I did yesterday I am more familiar with the linkage.

Thanks for the assist Mike. I am looking forward to trying a little gunsmithing myself on this gun.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Oh... OK, that sounds like you definitely have a problem with the linkage. If it's always harder to pull the trigger before a slamfire, look at that first. Something is no doubt worn out and the sear isn't getting good engagement when the slide moves back. Probably lucky that it hasn't gone full auto on you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts