Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have been bothered by the forearm sling mounts rotating losely. I have always been afraid to tighten them too much and have just put up with it. I had a BAR once that was shooting god awful groups and I finally attributed this to that mount being over torqued. I don't know if this will be the same with a 700 on a HS stock but I thought maybe somebody here had an old trick to keep them from rotating. Maybe some kind of locktite?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,034 Posts
Locktite will work - even plain old Elmer's white glue. You can also try finger nail polish or take a thread and wind it into the threads before screwing in to the escutcheon

·
Super Moderator
13,825 Posts
Teflon pipe tape increases hold friction. I like the thicker stuff for gas pipe. Hot melt glue can hold OK and breaks loose without much problem when you need it too.

The thing is, though, does the 700 have bedding that floats its barrel? If so, what you do to the fore end of the stock should not affect the gun, as long as your sling doesn't pull it into contact with the barrel. You should be able to torque that sling swivel right in with impunity. If you have a stock bedded to produce upward pressure on the barrel, then any kind of sling pressure may move POI if the upward pre-load is inadequate. Most military match rifles use barrel pull-down rather than push up, which is more immune to sling loading, but you need barrel bands and ferrules and whatnot to make that happen.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a Sendero 700 with an HS stock and I dont believe it is attached the barrel. I can slide a dollar bill all the way to the action. So I think your right, I should be able to tighten it up. I may still put some locktite on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,825 Posts
Check that the rifle is unloaded and sling up in your living room and try all slinged positions you use while a helper slides the dollar bill around. Make sure none of your sling positions pull the fore stock into barrel contact sideways. If one does, you may need to open the channel up a little?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I've taken the slings off 90% of my rifles, partly because of the [email protected]#$% studs screwing themselves out all the time. Tried everything to make them stay put -- nothing worked for long.

I now use slip-on, shotgun-tyle slings I made from heavy-duty elastic bungee cords I bought at WalMart. They work on any long gun. Easy to put on, easy to take off. Most comfortable and secure shoulder carry you'll find. Feather light. And they work great as a hasty sling and have no effect on accuracy

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I'm also annoyed that they swivel a bit, they don't unscrew because I use a thick leather strap that I keep pretty tight when in use. I'm tempted to use a loctite or similar, but I don't want to crack the stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts