Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I read about someone playing with small cased wildcats. As an example 9mm para case necked to take a 22 or 6mm bullet has anyone heard of such an animal. I am interested in something along the lines of a 256 win mag with velocities around 1000 fps. A 300 whisper is too large of a bullet. This is a project for small (squirrel) critters. I would be using this with the explosive bullets such as the "Varmin-A-Tor " by Barnes or Sierra Varminter.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
there are some small waild-cats in .22. Guess the 22/25acp would rate as the smallest...I've always liked the .22Flea, which is the .32ACP case necked to .22...but it sounds like you want a .25. I dissagree about the Whisper idea being too large, whne they were being developed they even tried a micro-whisper based on a .30 Tok case.

One of the oldest wildcats of all would probably fill the bill: .25Hornet. Nearly a straight case, but would be able to toss bullets out much faster than the 1000fps you mention....could always shorten the case.
(Actually...the .270 REN is a truely straight cased Hornet, some Contender barrels were chambered for it....personally, I'd like a fast twist 6.5?.22Hornet to lob those long 140gr. Spitzers and 160RN's out there).

If you wanted a rimless or a short bottle necked case, then perhaps a necked .30 Luger (which could actually be made from other cases besides hard to find .30Luger)...would still have more velocity on tap than 1000fps unless you do use the "whisper" idea of long heavy bullets in fast twist barrels.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,404 Posts
I believe you read about necking the 10mm Auto to .22 cal, in the Guns & Ammo "High Tech Firearms" magazine/booklet. I still have a copy, somewhere.

Something like 2,000fps from a 5 or 6 inch barrel, not sure of the bullet weight but probably 40 grains.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts