Shooters Forum banner

"Smart Gun" Legislation

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  alyeska338 
#1 ·
TRENTON, N.J. (Dec. 23) - New Jersey on Monday became the first state to enact ''smart gun'' legislation that would eventually require new handguns to contain a mechanism that allows only their owners to fire them.

Gov. James E. McGreevey signed the bill into law requiring the ''smart guns,'' but the rule will not go into effect immediately because the technology is still under development. It could be years before it becomes a reality.

''This is common-sense legislation. There are safety regulations on cars, on toys. It's clearly time we have safety regulations on handguns,'' McGreevey said at Monday's signing ceremony.

Under the New Jersey law, smart-gun technology will be required in all new handguns sold three years after the state attorney general determines a smart gun prototype is safe and commercially available.

The New Jersey Institute of Technology is developing a smart gun prototype that would use sensors on the pistol grip to identify a user.

The owner would have his or her grip programmed at a gun shop or police range by practice-firing the weapon. A microchip in the weapon would remember the grip and determine in an instant whether the authorized user was holding the weapon. If not, the gun would not fire.

Supporters say the law will help prevent accidental gun deaths and suicides.

But opponents argued that it makes little sense to legislate about a technology that does not yet exist and have raised questions about its reliability.

''No technology is foolproof,'' said Nancy Ross, spokeswoman for the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs. ''Anyone who has a computer knows how many times it crashes.''

See less See more
#2 ·
Here we go. Another idea making its way around Alaska was proposed by so-called pro-gun Americans for Gun Safety Foundation (GSF). GSF is wanting a bill requiring all gunowners to have firearms stored away locked and unavailable for immediate use. The idea behind the bill is because Alaska has more than twice the national average of gun thefts. No, locking guns away behind your front door isn't good enough. It would have to be a locking cabinet, safe or rack. All of sudden it is the firearm owners fault that guns are stolen. Both, the post made by DOK and this GSF idea, really torque my screws.

#4 ·
I guess with the new "Smart Guns", this means I can get done in by a couple of guys while my wife dials "911", because her hand dint match the "Chip". Or maybe the law enforcement officer who has to use my gun because he lost his in a struggle and needs mine to defend his and my life.
I have a Improper Medical saying for the people that dream up some of these ideas, its called:
"Cranial Rectal Inversion"

Gun Runner

#5 ·
While all these idiots who dream up all these ways of protecting their criminal pals sleep peacefully in their slumber, protected by the secret service. All the hardworking backbone of America are thrown to the wolves.
I am not sure but i think Hitler is back in office!

#7 ·
I have to wonder if any such invention would include an electronic chip that could be disabled at a distance like some of the technology that is in the new vehicles. Only to be used by "trusted government servants" of course.

We live in some truly perilous times and it is not the obvious predeators that are dangerous, but rather the wolves in sheeps clothing.

#10 ·
Iowa anti's are proposing something similiar to what Alyeska338 identified except their going one step further....they want all guns stored at a centralized remote location! In Iowa, approximately 86% of the gun deaths are suicides, thus no guns in the house allows the individuals the extra time to think about a different way to kill themselves. When I questioned them about this, they indicated that suicide by guns tends to be rather final and that other forms of suicide give a better opportunity for failure. The women explaining this to me really didn't think I should mind this minor incovenience to save lives. I asked if they were recommending additional funding to assist with the mental health issues and they said, "No, they knew that wouldn't get anywhere, but that the gun issue was easier to sell."

Dan

#12 ·
Redhawk1 said:
I for one will not buy any of those guns when they come out. I will use my old ones. New Jersey is just another one of those California Bull**** States. I am a member of the NRA where were they on this one???????
Fighting an aggressive Grass Roots e-mail, FAX and advertising campaign along with hours in the state house and work by their state affiliate. They lost. Are you suggesting that the NRA can deny or approve legislation? It doesn't work like that.

#14 · (Edited)
Comlete text of the new law here:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2002/Bills/S1000/573_R2.HTM

My favorite part:
2[4. (New section) a. On and after the first day of the sixth month following the preparation and delivery of the list of personalized handguns which may be sold in the State pursuant to section 3 of P.L. , c. (C. ) (now pending before the Legislature as this bill), no person registered or licensed by the superintendent as a manufacturer, wholesale dealer of firearms, retail dealer of firearms or agent or employee of a wholesale or retail dealer of firearms pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-1 or N.J.S.2C:58-2 shall transport into this State, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign or otherwise transfer any handgun unless it is a personalized handgun or an antique handgun.
Since all handgun transfers in NJ have to go through an FFL, your children will not be allowed to inherit your property.

#15 · (Edited)
Hey guys...
Here in NJ the crock is that even the Governor himself announced that the technology is not in sight. The Bergen (county) record, our local rag had a story saying Smith has received a 1.9million ggrant to devolope a "smart gun' from the Feds, and they have already spent 5 million. NJIT; The New Jersey Institute for Technology is also working on a grip mounted microprocessor that will recognise your grip. That's fine till the gun gets knocked from your hand and it recovered by your wife who tries to help you and can't!

HORSE HOCKEY!!

This stuff makes me so crazy.:mad: GRRRR
Here's the article....Put your boots on and pull up your pants...
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?level_3_id=5&page=6095248

#16 ·
If I remember correctly the Gov of NJ is A Dumbocrat!! -And didn't Alaska elect a Dumbocrat as well? If I was you all i would challenge them in court as to to constitutionality of these laws -Prevents you from selling legal property to another, does not allow you free choice ! Invades your right to self protection.

#17 ·
GunNut...Republican or Democrat...not much difference these days. I wonder how far things can go before the doo-doo hits the fan. Americans get dumber by the minute in this brave new world.

My guess is that many folks I consider friends will be branded outlaws. The big question is how will our grandchildren remember us? Outlaws or patriots and hero's?

Blessings,

Scotty

#18 ·
I don't think the question is "Where was the NRA?", or what's the difference between a Democrat and a Republican? Rather, What are we, individually and collectively, going to do about those and the hundreds of other laws which restrict and deny our inherent rights? Do we obey these laws just because "it's the law", or take a stand? The founders of our country chose to take a stand against tyranical government. Will we do less? I don't advocate any overthrow, just a restoration of Constitutional government.
DC

#19 ·
DMC,

I don't advocate any overthrow, just a restoration of Constitutional government.
I agree with you, on your above comment. However our current government has grown so huge and unresponsive to us the citizens, that it may take bringing it to it's knees (overthrowing it), just to force it back to the constitutional system it is supposed to be.

#20 ·
Before any drastic measures are taken, I do believe we can sort this mess out. We need to let the manufacturers know that we won't stand for it. I believe we have failed as customers to inform what product and features we want. Remington's safety locking system seems to have been accepted without much controversy, as has S&W's. Ruger responded to the mandated locking device by providing a padlock, one that can be used if desired, but not an integral part of the firearm. Just because one person buys a particular handgun, does not mean that he or she is the only one that is intended to use it. Home protection guns may require any adult member of the household to be called to duty. Also, nowhere is it illegal for a gunowner (providing they go through the proper process) to sell a firearm. This "smart gun" technology would preempt that.

For the reasons stated above and numerous others, I'm sure if we work together with one voice (including lobbying groups, manufacturers, etc..) that we can have these bills overturned.

As for the Alaska case, it was an outside "pro-gun" lobby group that has introduced this idea. It didn't come from our governor or state legislatures. So, it is something we need to be aware of, but not law and certainly not beyond the reproach of gun-owners here in AK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.