Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=69446

I found this on an Alaska-based forum. It seems legit, but you need to act fast - offer ends this month. I e-mailed S&W to find out if they will extend the offer for soldiers like myself who are deployed. I thought I'd spread the word for military folks here.

·
Banned
505 Posts
Cool thanks! I'm spreading the word!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Order sent.

I sent in my order yesterday for a 460V. I wass able to reach David Holt via e-mail, who is VP of military programs for S&W. I also found a gun shop back home that will handle the transfer for me, and he's not even going to charge his usual $20 fee. It is a great deal, I am glad I found out about it.

I'm guessing if S&W had actively advertised this deal, they wouldn't be able to meet the demand.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
AKsoldier,

Did you findout if they will extend the offer for those deployed. I'm just now finding out. I've got couple of Smiths on my wish list.

CD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Combat Diver, Hello from FOB Sharana. I did get an extension, but Mr. Holt said that was for my unit. I'm sure if you e-mail him he will extend the same offer though. His e-mail: [email protected] He gave us until the end of January to get our orders in. I already sent him my order via e-mail and it has been approved. I ordered the 460V.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I can help you with the order form and other details if you need it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
AKsoldier,

Thanks for the info and I emailed him yesterday. Hopefully he'll answer before the end of the year. I'm just East of you at FOB Salerno. I fired a friends 460 this summer and loved it, now to decide between that, a M57 Classic or M60 Pro. Stay safe and have a Merry Christmas.

CD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem brother - Merry Christmas right back at ya! You're not part of 4/25 are ya? If so I can hook you up on our order. If you're headed back to AK, I already have a FFL in Wasilla who is handling the transfer for us free.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
AKsoldier,

Thanks for the offer but not with 4/25th. I retired last year from SF (15yrs as a Army Combat Diver, hence my login) and contracting now with the family on the NC coastline. Stay safe brother.

CD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CD,

In that case, thanks for your service! You'll need to contact an FFL dealer back home who can handle the transfer for ya. You might want to check into that while you're waiting for a reply from S&W.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Finally got in touch with Dave Holt and ordered a 442 no lock.

CD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to hear it. I'm in the process of buying all the needed reloading supplies for the 460 so it's waiting for me when I get home.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
AKsoldier how's your 460 working out? I had changed my order from a standard no lock 442 to the 442 Pro Series cut for the moonclips. It was made near the end of June and shipped on the 30th. I started my two week leave on July 1st! Picked up my new Smith and fired a few times in the backyard before I left. Really like it. Got extended for another year here.

CD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CD, glad to hear you are enjoying your S&W. I absolutely love my 460. I cannot imagine a more versatile weapon. I can fire 460, 454 Casull, and 45 colt. And with a kit I can even fire 45 ACP. I have found though, that as a handloader I have no need for any of the other calibers. I can handload the 460 brass with trail boss powder and wind up with recoil mild enough that my wife and ten-year-old son handled it with no problem. I have already put almost 500 rounds throught it, ranging from 265 gr. cast wadcutters, to 300 gr. hornady XTP's to 535 gr. Tyranosaur thumpers from Ranger Rick. It has never skipped a beat, and is accurate beyond belief for a 5" barrel.

The only problem I've experienced so far is due to my own inexperience casting my own bullets. I have a Lee mould for 300 gr. gas-checked bullets, and I think I got the alloy wrong, or might need to try a different lube. They work fine with low-pressure loads using trail boss, but when I try to push them faster with H110 or lil gun, they lead the barrel pretty quick.

I'm getting ready to order some more of the big boys from Ranger Rick. My first ones were surprisingly low on recoil, so I plan to work up and watch for pressure signs, then back off to the most accurate recipe. They will be my bear loads.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Glad that your enjoying it. I'm debating wheter to order either a Smith 57 in my beloved .41 Mag next or step up to the .460. Not much in NC do I need more then a .41 to get the job done.

CD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad that your enjoying it. I'm debating wheter to order either a Smith 57 in my beloved .41 Mag next or step up to the .460. Not much in NC do I need more then a .41 to get the job done.

CD
I can't argue with ya there. That said, however, if I were moving to NC I wouldn't think of getting rid of my 460. The versatility of being able to fire the other calibers with recoil greatly reduced over other weapons traditionally chambered for those calibers makes it an attractive weapon even if the power of the 460 is not needed.

You also have the ability to reach out farther than any other handgun (with the exception of a Thompson Center chambered for a rifle cartridge) if you're into that sort of thing.

Whatever you decide on, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm thinking about expanding my wheel gun inventory myself. I currently only have the 460 and a Cimarron SA in .22 mag. I'm thinking about picking up one of the new Rugers chambered in .327 Federal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts