Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range last weekend for a qualifying shoot. I shoot a Glock 22 in 40 S&W. After the shoot was over I was checking out the instructors gun, it was a 5906 tactical. We had about 1000 rounds left, so I had to put it through its paces. This thing shot sweet, alot more accurate than the Glock, at least to me. But the only thing that I don't like about it, is that the gun won't fire without a magazine in. From a tactical standpoint that's not a good thing. The Glock will fire without a magazine. Do you know if that safty can be removed, without effecting anything else? :confused:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
44 Joe, Yes, I do believe you can deactivate it. But why? There are several schools of tought here. The magazine safety has been credited to have saved some lives do to the fact if you are carrying openly (ie Law enforcement) and a suspect tries to snatch your weapon away from you, you can easily hit the mag release to reder the gun inoperable if you loss possion of the weapon. This will buy you time to put distance/cover between you two, draw backup gun/knive. If out of ammo, leave mag in and drop single cartidge into chamber, hit slide release and pull trigger. If no mag avaible I used to insert finger inside mag well and depress safety (used to do this with my Browning Hi Powers to drop hammer on empty gun) Don't remember if I ever did that on my S&W 6906. Like seat belts in a car, you can use it or not.

George:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to admit, I like the example you stated about losing your weapon. The scenero where that safety doesn't do you any good, is when you are doing a inbattery reload. You have a round in the chamber, have shot a number of times and think it might be a good time to have a full magazine. Every- thing looks fine, and you dump your mag, then you are rushed, and gun won't fire. I don't know if anyone has been saved by a gun that fires without a magazine in it, but in a crisis the less things that can go wrong the better. Just my opinion, doesn't really count for much, just ask my wife.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts