Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I traded for a used Model 14-3 revolver, S/N - 8K841XX, in excellent condition. It has a wide target hammer and trigger and operates only in single action mode.

I've looked up Model 14's on the internet and they seem to function in both single and double action. I'm confused.

·
Banned
72 Posts
mike you have a nice pistol there. there is nothing wrong with the weapon it is truly a single action pistol that s&w came out with in 1961. the pistol has a faster lock time than the double pistols. this was for target shooting i belive.

·
Banned
484 Posts
S&W made two versions of the Model 14 K-38; the standard double action model that could be used in both DA and SA modes, and a specialized Bullseye Target version that operated in single action only. That version is not common so if that is what you have, it could have some collector value...maybe...

Of course, it would be easy to disable the double action function on any S&W revolver simply by removing the DA sear, so it is possible that yours has been so modified (or something inside could have gone kerflooey, but it probably wouldn't work at all if that was the case).

If you are curious enough, you could contact S&W for a factory letter that can tell you what you have.

·
Banned
72 Posts
k-38-3

w h b is right the pistol if it is indeed original is worth something in the 25% range over the standard pricing for the k-38.

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information guys. Although I have never fired it, the gun has been fired years ago by previous owners.

I think when the weather is nicer I will assemble some target loads and give it a try at our pistol range. I don't want to shoot any high velocity or jacketed bullets in this gun.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Bet S&W can change your Model 14 back to SA/DA in a heartbeat. Just be sure they return the SA only part should you decide to go this route. IIRC, this is the hammer.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a 14-3 in SA/DA, and it's a real sweet shooter. I bet yours is too. Let us know how it goes after you shoot it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts