Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been interested in the long single shot BPCRs.  I am going to purchase one soon in 45/70 after I decide which brand to go with.  I am interested in learning about the dos and don'ts of reloading for them.  Currently I reload for a number of different modern loads including some hard hitting 45-70's for my WWG Co-Pilot.  I have every intention of loading black powder in the future, time permitting but would like to start out using smokeless powder with either cast or jacketed bullets for the BPCR.  I have been searching the net but am unable to find much regarding shooting smokeless  powder and jacketed bullets in these rifles of modern manufacture.  Will jacketed bullets shoot well through these guns or does one need to load cast bullets.  If using cast or jacketed bullets and smokeless powder is there anything special one should consider?  Can anyone help me get started in this or reccomend a book or other source of information?

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Bearhunter:
    There's .45-70 data in the Lyman and Hornady manuals that' separate for Springfield Trapdoors (low pressure), Marlin 1895s (medium) and Rugers (high).
One issue that keeps coming up is wheather you should use fillers with light loads of smokeless or not.  

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Bearhunter,
     Check out Accurate Powder's 5744. It is a powder designed to do exactly what you want - duplicate black powder performance with a smokeless powder that doesn't require fillers. I've had excellent results with it! As far as jacketed vs. cast bullets I think you will be fine using jacketed for starters. Just clean all the copper fouling out before you switch to cast! Go to the Accurate Powder website to get info about 5744 loads.  Have fun!!     ID

1 - 3 of 3 Posts