Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per Marshall's request, I made an inquiry with the US Department of Transportation regarding the Hazmat requirements of shipping smokeless powder and I am reporting said results here on the forum.

Do not do it unless you personally or through a business have been trained, tested and registered according to DOT regulations. The training involved has to do with the characteristics and classification of the explosive materials and the packaging requirements for shipping. There is a test and registration through the DOT. You must keep written documents on file as proof of training, and retraining every three years.

Businesses who are so registered with DOT must ensure that employees involved with Hazmat shipping are trained and that proof of this training is kept on file. This training must be conducted every three years. Proof of training is verified by DOT Inspectors who make on site inspections.

DOT offers a CD-ROM for training in Hazmat. Similar CD-ROM's can be purchased from Labelmaster or J.J. Keller through mail order.

Shipping hazardous materials without meeting the DOT requirements would be a violation of federal regulation, and failing to notify a common carrier, like UPS, that you are shipping hazardous materials would be a violation of regulation and law. This is no more than general information to reflect the restrictions involved in hazmat shipping. For details, feel free to do your own look up under Title 49 C.F.R. (Code of Federal Regulations).

According to the DOT inspector I spoke with, private citizens, who have not been trained and registered with DOT, are prohibited from shipping smokeless powder, regardless of the amount.

This post is for informational purposes only. It is meant to provide a "heads up" so that one does not inadvertently get into trouble through ignorance of the law.

And have a nice day!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Where was this in the Regulation? Para? Section

Thats why you take it to UPS and they ship it -course your giong to pay there $17-25 fee!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had the classes while in the Army. Mostly, when only shipping a small container, it's just about the labeling. The sad part is that in most cases the actual package isn't treated any differently by the shippers then anything else, they just charge you more. There are regulations concerning what products the powder is allowed to be shipped with and in what quantities, but with a something like 1 pound of smokeless powder it doesn't really affect anything except your wallet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts