Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting 240 grn XTP's, win. brass, CCI magnum pistol primers atop 24 grains of H110. I have been using them in my 1894s and a Ruger SRH. The shoot accuratly and show no excessive pressure signs. But the cases on both come out very sooty/dirty. I read somewhere on this that the case  might not be sealing the chamber correctly due to a insufficient crimp. Or is this normal for H110. I have plenty of neck tension as I can see the outline of the bullet in the case. I was using what I thought was a heavy roll crimp, and seat and crimp in two steps. How can you tell if you have a good crimp. I have compared mine to factory crimps and they look the same. The die's I'm using are RCBS carbide. Also the brass is once fired and them full lenth sized. Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
44joe, same happens to me, and to many other shooters with H110 and AA9. Smoking brass is not a sign of dangerous pressures, so, if your loads are accurate, why bother? Of course, we MUST stick to the manuals, begin by starting loads, check components, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I had something similar occur with my 45-70 bolt gun. The load was not anything out of the ordinary except I was using some 255 grain 45 Colt bullets, that I thought were sized .458. I had mixed up the boxes of bullets and was actually shooting the same bullets except they were sized .454.
My SWAG (scientific wild donkeyed guess) was that the bullets did not provide enough resistance for a short while down the barrel and the powder was not giving a complete burn.
Once I switched to the properly sized bullets the problem ceased.
Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Sometimes this happens when your loads are below max pressure - the pressure doesn't come up fast enough to completely seal the case before some powder gas leaks out.

Not a big deal really.  If it bugs you and you aren't at max per the manual, you could try working up a bit.

It seems like this is to be expected, to some degree, with the slow powders.  Sounds like you are doing the right thing with the heavy crimp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. I haven't been on the computer to say thanks till now.  There is one more question that I have , and that is are there any better powders out there for top velocity and accuracy for the 44 mag. using the Hornady 240grn XTP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
to my knowlege. for top speeds, go H110. For top accuracy, only your rifle can tell you. You didn't ask, but my priorities in a hunting load are:1rst, bullet performance, 2nd, accuracy and 3rd velocity. once, after saying so, a buddy asked me what worth was a good performing bullet with poor accuracy: my answer: get closer, or don't shoot. A well placed poor performing bullet is still a poor performing bullet.
  hope it helps. luck and health!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have shot many different factory rounds that do this same thing. Sounds like a good load. Of coarse what is a smoky case to you may be something enterely different to the next guy. If you are loading not above what manuals say for maximum and your Redhawk is not stressed by previous overpressure, it can probably handle whatever you throw at it. Now if you are pushing the envelope we all know any gun is being tried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
   some of my most accurate loads smoke the cases , seemingly with no ill effects. as i approach maximum loads , the  smoking starts to go away. i just wipe my cylinder chambers out and keep firing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think that I'll stay with the load the way it is. Seems like the smoking is normal and it shoots real good. Thanks for all the feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts