Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any suggestions on snake boots? not looking to spend a bunch of money as there is no snakes where I normally hunt but I am going to SD on a PD hunt and have been told the snake populations are way up in that area. Are these type of boots worth the money or are they a "gimmick"?

·
The Shadow
7,982 Posts
Comming from the desert of Wa, I can tell you that you don't need them.
To quote a friend of mine, "You done did a bad thing" if you actually need them. I've only ever had bullsnakes try and take a chunk out of me, and I was antagonizing them. Diamondbacks, don't want anything to do with you and will leave given the chance.

That being said, I have never had they get through any of my Nick's boots, and most of them aren't the heaviest leather around.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Having lived in SD most of my life and hunted the western portion of this state I've never seen a rattle snake while hunting PD's. Only ones I have seen were dead ones killed by native Indians for sale or those sunning themselves on roads. Tend to mirror the thoughts of Darkker.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I agree with the above posters, snake boots aren't needed. Although I've seen rattlers in prairie dog towns they will try to escape when they detect you. Most snake bite incidents are when a persons trying to catch or kill them.

Watch where you step, sit or lay, cactus is the bigger threat!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Most snake bite incidents are when a persons trying to catch or kill them.
"Most" wouldn't be good enough for me.

Only takes one "exception to the rule" to really screw up a feller's day.

I've got an older pair from Bass Pro Shops.......Red Head brand. They are very comfortable once you get them broken in. Be sure to spring a bit extra for the tall snake boot socks and wear a pair of poly sock liners under them. Lace them tighter at the bottom and looser at the top. Otherwise they will rub your calves sore.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The ones I got from sportsmansguide were so tight, I could not zip them up, I have big legs. So, if you are husky vs. medium build they will not fit. I don't know what they are called, but, the small black ones with fangs, about 18" x 1/2" wide is the one I had to kill because it was too aggressive to pick up with a shovel so I could dump it in my woods.

The cottonmouths and diamond backs will generally scatter once the lawn mower or chainsaw starts.

·
Banned
33 Posts
You really don't need snake boots. I've been hunting snakes for over fifty years, been in the middle of sunning dens, and have been struck only once above the ankle - deflected by pants leg. I would suggest that you take a pair of jeans to the cleaners and have them EXTRA HEAVY starch them from the knee down. The stiffness is enough to deflect any strike. Snake boots sell good, but aren't really needed.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Most hunting in this great land of ours does not require snake boots, but some of it absolutely does. If you hunt down in the southern states, you will find that there are places where you wouldn't want to be without snake-bite protection. These places are usually wet with tall grasses and the snakes that live there are aggressive and poisonous. Not all poisonous snakes have rattles to warn you off, and most of them blend nicely into the scenery. If you go hunting in snake country and you don't want to invest in boots, at least pick up some snake-proof gaiters and wear them with leather boots.
I agree completely. Snake boots are like lawyers - you really don't care much until you need them. There are parts of where I live that are really brushy and you are on top of one before you know it. Copperheads are our most common culprit and just walking through berry patches can be an adventure. Those snakes really blend in and are hard to pick up. The rattlers like to hang out in the ginseng which also doesn't give much time for a warning when you step directly on it before you or he knows the other is there. I haven't been saved by snake boots/gaiters yet either but the cost is not more than regular boots so I think it is a good investment. It is like those that carry an umbrella to work every day. There are days when people laugh at them for carrying it unnecessarily and there have been days when those laughing got into their cars all wet. It is better to have and not need than vice versa.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great discussion gentleman! You all have been making very good points. The hardest part if I decide to get a pair of boots is convincing the "better half" that I need yet ANOTHER pair of boots. Between my hunting boots,work boots, and hiking shoes i guess I'm kinda like a woman and her shoes. I don't think I like the gaiters cause they would just be even more added heat that tall boots.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Snake Boots SAved My A$$

If you feel that you don't need snake boots cuz --->
1. what part of the country you live in...fine.
2. you are always on the lookout for snakes...fine.
3. you know how snakes "think" so you don't need them...fine.
4.it just can't happen to me...fine.
5.I'm waaaay to manly for them...fine.
6.my friends will laugh...fine
7.-100. etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.

I hunt in the river swamps of Florida. The snakes are large and mean. When you are in grass waist high,fan palmetto's that are the same height,and cane(bamboo)patches that are 1-2 acres wide,you might want to rethink your reasons for NOT wearing snake boots. OR....a well starched pair of Levi's.(that's just silly)

I was hunting the river swamp some 6 years ago and got hit by a cottonmouth that was as big as my biceps. I had my Cabela's snake boots on. They saved my A$$.

I had been dropped off the boat and my buddy took my boat upstream about a half mile. He had gotten out of the boat and we were walking towards each other. He was about 200yds from the boat. In the area that we hunt,that 200yds takes about 20 minutes to cover if you move as fast as possible.

I was walking down a narrow hog trail. It was Dec.9th. The temp had been in the high 50's that night but had warmed to the low 70's by noon.
I was pushing my way thru some palmetto's when I felt something hit my right ankle. It felt like a stick or branch had sprung up and whacked me. It almost knocked my foot out from under me. I took a couple of more steps and looked back to see a rather large cottonmouth recoiling for another strike.

I quickly moved away and looked down at my boot. It was covered in yellowish venom. I pulled out my knife,hacked my shoestring loose,and checked my ankle as fast as possible. The snakes fangs did not penetrate my boot.

I went back and found the snake still coiled for another strike and killed it with a stick. I called my buddy on the radio and told him what had happened. If the venom had gotten to me it would have been about a half hour before the boat could have arrived at the river bank where I was at. Then another 40 minutes to the dock. Then 20 more minutes to the hospital.

I understand that most of ya'll don't hunt in this environment. But even up at the hunting club. I have seen eastern diamondbacks that have NOT rattled when you came close to them. Then will coil and just lay in wait. I have even poked a stick at them and they did not rattle. Also....in the thick stuff or tall grass it is hard to tell where the rattle is coming from. Which way do you move to open the distance between you and the snake ??

Ultimately,snake boots are a personal thing. I have seen them in some catalogs for as little as $79. Also,at least down here,they come in handy for keeping the "wait a minute" vines from cutting your calves and ankles.

Another plus is keeping the fast moving hogs from cutting you when you almost step on them in the super thick stuff.

Ya'll stay safe out there. ---pruhdlr

·
Banned
605 Posts
My Grandfather was down on the Border, chasing around the Countryside looking for Pancho Villa. He was a 1st Seargent. Everyone wore the leggings which were lined with a thin metal. He told me you'd hear "clink, clink, clink" all day long. Rattlesnakes. And those Caisons kept rolling along.

·
Registered
95 Posts
50 years in the field in the west,never worn a "snake boot". Never had a close call. Forget that nonsense and get a good pair of 11 inch boots,my Russels will turn the fangs of the biggest snake.You can walk all day in custom made boots,in comfort,and in safety.

·
Registered
977 Posts
> convincing the "better half" that I need yet ANOTHER pair of boots

I guess it depends on your health and death insurance :-D

I know some of the snakes around here, the venom can kill you in a 1/2 an hour easy and leather boots are no protection against 1"+ fangs. The thing that saves most people around here is the snake only injects venom something like 1 out of 4 strikes.

Like post #11, the thing is in swampy land with kudzu, vines, and grass waist high, you never see it coming.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
All is fine and good but the OP was asking about prairie dog hunting in western South Dakota. Now that is something I've been doing for about 35 years. I've seen and heard snakes out here but haven't had a close encounter yet (watch me jinx myself). Prairie dog towns aren't in tall grass or swamps, we don't have copperheads or cottonmouths here and the prairie rattlers are reclusive and non aggresive. You can do what you want, in my opinion snake boots up here is not necessary.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If I were to buy snake boots, they would be from Russell Moccasin. I don't have a pair, but there were a few times that I wish I did have a pair of snake boots. Whatever gives you more confidence and focus on a hunt definitely can't hurt. My advice..... go ahead and get a pair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, we have a lot of copper heads in my part of OK and when trimming up my cedars I have run across a few. I bought some of these from Tractor Supply Store:

http://www.cspforestry.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=281OD

They are not pretty, but they will get the job done and you can be comfy in your regular shoes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I made it back safe and sound. I chose not to buy the snake boots and am now glad I didn't spend the money. the grass is so short around these prairie do towns that I feel it would be 100% your fault from not paying attention if you had an encounter with a snake.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
here in stanly co. nc. ive not seen one in a long time.. rattler , cotton mouth,or copper head.. thats what worries me.. it ll make you kinda get slack an assume he s not there..
on one of my walks an im say 3 miles from the house.. well lets just say,chances of this old coot making it back ..might not be so good.
never seen a man expire ,because he just couldn t get back to a phone to call emt..but god is my co pilot.. so what will be ,will.
its a good argument for a cell phone though.. always know where you at. jmo slim

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Well I made it back safe and sound. I chose not to buy the snake boots and am now glad I didn't spend the money. the grass is so short around these prairie do towns that I feel it would be 100% your fault from not paying attention if you had an encounter with a snake.
Hey Mossy, I read your other post and am very happy you had a good time out here. Where did you hunt?

Must seem kinda silly now that you've seen what it's like? Most snake sightings I've had were moving from town to town or doing things like opening gates. I'm cautious approaching gates that has tall grass around them. When closing gates, usually lift the lower wire loop with my toe rather than reach down with a hand.

You've just discovered one of the most enjoyable aspects of the shooting sports and one that's not very well known. Hope you'll consider coming back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts