Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overall I thought it was good article even if a bit irresponsible IMO.

I personally would have liked to seen you stress the responsibility that goes along with setting snares a little more. There is a heck of a lot of this country that is not Idaho wilderness.

The simplicity of the system is the problem, a ten year old kid could put out 50 of them in no time.

Setting snares in deer trails without the addition of one more ferrule 7- 8 inches down from the lock is just asking for trouble even with the use of jump sticks to guard your snare and Murphy's law will catch up to you sooner or later guaranteed. By using the additional feral the snare can't close up tight enough to hold a deer's leg.

IMO you have made that system more complicated that it needs to be, plain sixteen gauge tie wire will work just fine for your snare support. The  heavier gauges are more useful when snaring in more open environments.

3/32  cable is used for coyote snares for a reason, first is you get less fur damage and two is it holds a much higher percentage of your coyotes.

I like your site nice job

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Thomas,

Your comments are well taken, and correct!  True, not all folks are blessed as we are with the extreme rural environment afforded by North Idaho!

Indeed the addition of a lock-stop does eliminate the possibility of inadvertently catching the leg of a deer.  Good point, and one others should take note!

My suggestion of the smaller cable instead of the more traditional 3/32" is simply for ease of use for those unaccustomed to setting snares, and more flexibilty, resulting in a higher percentage of catches.  I've never lost a yellow-dog due to a 1/16" cable failing or breaking, and holding a snared coyote has not proven to be a problem.  I've been trapping off and on since I was 11 years old, my grandfather having been a government trapper for two decades.

Concerning a kid putting out 50 snares in no time, this is true, but where is the responsibility of the parent?  Trapping has been a tie that binds families together for many generations, while a nearly lost art today, it still holds the same potential for forming strong family and parental bonds with our kids.  A trapline is the ideal opportunity to share responsible game management with our kids, and an appreciation for God's handiwork!

Thanks for the reply, and God Bless,

Marshall Stanton

1 - 3 of 3 Posts