Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every year, usually between Christmas and New Years, I like to spend a morning still hunting. Screw the stands, leave the safety harness at home, and just go after them. When there's snow on the ground, all the better! Nashville had it's first measureable Christmas snowfall in 17 years, and I couldn't get out Christmas or yesterday, so I was pumped!

This morning I left the truck at 7:30 am, headed due South. This was mostly with the wind, which normally isn't good, but I was walking in the bottom of a deep valley, so the wind was mostly going over my head. By 9:30 I was at the southern edge of our little 100 acre lease, and I turned East along the ridge top. I soon came along a very fresh looking trail headed in the same direction. There were so many tracks, it looked like at least 6 deer. I followed them for a couple hundred yards, when they turned North east and down into a deep, brushy valley. If the deer continued in that direction, they would come into the horse pasture, so I decided to continue East in case they circled back.

I walked East about as far as I could go on our property, then turned North into the wind. About halfway down the hill I spoted some deer headed my way, roughly 100 yards distant. I dropped to one knee, put the scope on the lead (biggest) doe, and looked for an open shot. At first there was too much brush, then the deer was walking right toward me and I didn't have a good shot angle. Finally the big doe turned mostly broadside and I squeezed the trigger.

At the shot, deer were everywhere! The deer I shot turned downhill and "bulldozed" with her head on the ground, running right through the group of deer. Some literally tripped over themselves trying to get out of the way. The shot doe ran until her head wedged under a couple logs, and she stopped right there. The other deer slowly re-grouped and returned on thier trail. I counted 7 deer total, including the one I shot.

I checked my watch: 10:55 am. The shot was only 15 yards, and she only "ran" 15 more before hitting the logs.

It was a nice large doe; she field dressed at 110 lbs on my cheap dial scale.

I won't comment on the performance of the bullet (since my last thread on that subject turned into an argrument) but I will say it was another heart shot, with a nice exit hole and plenty of blood, though trailing wasn't needed on this one. (The blood in the pic is the exit side; she was slightly quartering away. The entrance hole was slightly behind the right front leg.)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,735 Posts
I'm jealous - we could use 6 or 8 inches of snow on the lease to knock the grass down.

Good work!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Looks pretty healthy! Our deer get skinny and gray looking right about now. We've had a long spell of cold and snow though.

Good work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts